Include/Exclude Moves from Analysis

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Marc MP

Include/Exclude Moves from Analysis

Post by Marc MP »

In ChessPartner 5.4, the function "Analyse position" enable me to include or exclude moves from analysis if I use the native Chess Tiger engine. Are there uci or winboard engines that support that feature? It is really helpful when you want to verify how good is the second best move etc.
PauloSoare

Re: Include/Exclude Moves from Analysis

Post by PauloSoare »

Marc MP wrote:In ChessPartner 5.4, the function "Analyse position" enable me to include or exclude moves from analysis if I use the native Chess Tiger engine. Are there uci or winboard engines that support that feature? It is really helpful when you want to verify how good is the second best move etc.
I don´t like to use "include and exclude" moves, Marc. In the Deep Fritz 10 GUI
several UCI engines are able to use the function "next best", including Rybka ,
Hiarcs and Shredder. I tryed Rybka mp 2.3.1, Hiarcs mp 11.1 and Deep Shredder 10.
You have to pressure keyboard key “Y”.
Sometimes it´s interesting to use the multiple variations function.

Paulo Soares
Marc MP

Post by Marc MP »

PauloSoare wrote:
Marc MP wrote:In ChessPartner 5.4, the function "Analyse position" enable me to include or exclude moves from analysis if I use the native Chess Tiger engine. Are there uci or winboard engines that support that feature? It is really helpful when you want to verify how good is the second best move etc.
I don´t like to use "include and exclude" moves, Marc. In the Deep Fritz 10 GUI
several UCI engines are able to use the function "next best", including Rybka ,
Hiarcs and Shredder. I tryed Rybka mp 2.3.1, Hiarcs mp 11.1 and Deep Shredder 10.
You have to pressure keyboard key “Y”.
Sometimes it´s interesting to use the multiple variations function.

Paulo Soares
Thank you for your answer. I'll check it out in Fritz.

I use include move for two things:
1- Include only the mainline move (taken from previous analysis) so that you save time not analysing other moves - for long analysis.

2- Include the first and second best move (based on preliminary analysis) to be able to find which one is the best without losing time on other moves and evaluating the moves from the same root position (as opposed to what happen when you analyze the positions 1 ply later from your opponent perspective).

I use exclude move to find out what is the second best move (I exclude the main move) -this must be similar to "next best" in Fritz.
dvash

Post by dvash »

I also like the Include/Exclude move option. I know at least a few UCI engines support the Include/Exclude Move feature (using the 'searchmoves' UCI command). Of the engines I currently have installed, Shredder, Hiarcs, and Rybka all support this feature while Toga, Spike, and Gandalf don't. In the Shredder GUI, you Include moves while in analysis mode by making them while holding down the CTRL key. You Exclude moves by making them while holding down the Shift key. I don't know about other interfaces.
Marc MP

Post by Marc MP »

dvash wrote:I also like the Include/Exclude move option. I know at least a few UCI engines support the Include/Exclude Move feature (using the 'searchmoves' UCI command). Of the engines I currently have installed, Shredder, Hiarcs, and Rybka all support this feature while Toga, Spike, and Gandalf don't. In the Shredder GUI, you Include moves while in analysis mode by making them while holding down the CTRL key. You Exclude moves by making them while holding down the Shift key. I don't know about other interfaces.
That would be a real nice addition to Toga.

I tried Glaurung, Pharaon, Naum 2.0 but no luck. As for Chess Tiger 2007, it only works with the native engine, the uci-engine doesn't support the command.
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Marc MP wrote:I tried Glaurung, Pharaon, Naum 2.0 but no luck.
Hello Marc,

What problems did you have with Glaurung? Glaurung does support the 'searchmoves' command, so I don't see why the Include/Exclude move option shouldn't work.

Tord
anst

Post by anst »

I really like the exclude move function. I search a given move deeply and find that it is no good. I then use the exclude function to make the engine find the best alternative. Without the exclude function this is a lot of work where you have to try all alternatives manually.

I use the Shredder GUI for this and it seems to me that most engines allow this through this GUI.
Marc MP

Post by Marc MP »

Tord Romstad wrote:
Hello Marc,

What problems did you have with Glaurung? Glaurung does support the 'searchmoves' command, so I don't see why the Include/Exclude move option shouldn't work.

Tord
Hi Tord,

Thank you for pointing out. I mistakenly set up the time control at 1 sec per move (instead of something longer) and I thought the analysis ended unexpectedly. Everything works like a charm of course!

Thank you,

Marc
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Marc MP wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:
Hello Marc,

Tord
Hi Tord,

Thank you for pointing out. I mistakenly set up the time control at 1 sec per move (instead of something longer) and I thought the analysis ended unexpectedly. Everything works like a charm of course!
Great, that means that I don't have yet another bug to track down. :)

By the way, the analysis mode for UCI engines in the Chessbase UIs is broken, as Ernest Bonnem helped me find out some time ago: The GUI doesn't set the UCI_AnalyseMode parameter correctly.

Tord
PauloSoare

Post by PauloSoare »

Yes, yestarday was the first time I use include/exclude mode
in Deep Shredder GUI :oops:
I think you and Marc are rigth, I will to use this mode
in my analyses, but not always, I like to analyse
fastly, and after this I like to use "preserve analyses" and take back
to confirm my moves. In the total I spend much time to analyse
a position, but I am a weak player.

Paulo Soares