Chessmaster Diamond questions - help from German speakers?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JonP01

Re: Chessmaster Diamond questions - help from German speaker

Post by JonP01 »

Hi Steve,

I can put it in the manual, but am reluctant to until a German schachcomputer expert confirms my procedure. Already I made a blooper by thinking the German manual suggested that Strategy had to be set to "1" when the P11 module was inserted. Now I think the manual is actually saying that changing Strategy to "1" disables the P11 module :roll:

As for Holz, it depends on your definition. Some might call a Scysis Astral holz, but I just consider it to be veneered particle board - nothing more than an inferior attempt to make unsuspecting wood-o-files think they have real holz...

And then there was the period when Cameron was buried deep in tertiary study and I had custodeonship of the Exclusive MMIV. Now that is real holz, no question. Nevertheless,

Kunststoff ist am besten Regards

Jonathan
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

JonP01 wrote:

As for Holz, it depends on your definition. Some might call a Scysis Astral holz, but I just consider it to be veneered particle board - nothing more than an inferior attempt to make unsuspecting wood-o-files think they have real holz...
ah yes..the Collector's Definition of ....WOOD...
Looking it up in the Collectors Dictionary(Unabridged King James Version)...
and i quote...

WOODEN DEDICATED CHESS COMPUTER...(pronunciation...Holz)
this is when the ENTIRE computer is made from the same material trees are made from..
not only the surround but the playing surface itself..
the pieces must also be made from this same material..
note...minor exceptions are made for level buttons and option keys which are allowed to be in plastic

so Jon,one can see quite clearly that the Astral does not meet the definition as its chess board(playing surface)is not wooden

as to the Exclusive..yes..this of course would be a classic example of a wooden computer..sadly however you only had it on loan so it too cannot count

ergo ..let the word go forth..from this time and place,,that the RFT CMD is in fact ..YOUR FIRST WOODEN Schachcomputer

Marked And Remembered Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klute

Post by klute »

I've just dug out my CM Diamond and am fiddling around. I agree with your findings except that on your point 5, it's the computer's first non-book move rather than the computer's last book move.

I did a little test using your method, except I set the computer to Level 9 and played 1. f3 - the computer was definitely thinking on its own here.

It seems the blank display immediately signifies that the board position is not contained in the PM10's library.

Cameron
Robert Weck

Post by Robert Weck »

Steve B wrote:so Jon,one can see quite clearly that the Astral does not meet the definition as its chess board(playing surface)is not wooden
So, from Jonathan's point of view, the Astral seems to be

the second best of both worlds regards,
Robert

P.S.: only second best, because Stratos/Corona have also a plastic board with a wooden frame; and they play much better! :wink:
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

Well, the more plastic, the better :)

Obvious regards

Jonathan
JonP01

Post by JonP01 »

klute wrote:I've just dug out my CM Diamond and am fiddling around. I agree with your findings except that on your point 5, it's the computer's first non-book move rather than the computer's last book move.

OK. That is a pain. The only way around that so far as I can see is that the user has to take back both the computer's last (i.e first non-book move) as well as his own last move. Then he swaps the module and re-does his last move. The reason being that once the Match function is enabled, the user's colour appears to be the only one that can re-initiate play.

Extremely fiddly Regards

Jonathan
Georg Langrath

Post by Georg Langrath »

Is it possible to download the English version somewhere?

Georg
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Georg Langrath wrote:Is it possible to download the English version somewhere?

Georg
hi Georg
well i suggested that Alain post Jons English manual for the RFT CMD on his site but it does not look like that is going to happen
i have a copy of Jon's manual for the CMD but i will need permission from Jon to E-mail it to you
or Jon can send it to you himself

Copy Right Regards
Steve
Georg Langrath

Post by Georg Langrath »

I see.
My English is not perfect, but my German i worse. :(

Georg
Steve B

Post by Steve B »