Clash Of The Titans...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

Clash Of The Titans...

Post by Steve B »

This Sunday Night at 8PM(US EST) on PlayChess...

the two Strongest dedicated chess computers ever released for sale in the Twentieth century will begin Game ONE of a winner take all ..best of FOUR Game match
Time Control..Game 30 minutes

Famed Hiarcs Team member and frequent Selective Search contributor Harvey Williamson will be pitting his Mephisto London 030-33Mhz (rated 2314 Elo) against the Tasc R30-V2.2(Rated 2312) operated by your humble reporter

winner of the match will receive his opponents computer
if the match ends in a tie then the two combatants will swap computers

Game 2 start time ..To Be Announced

needless to say with so much at stake ..the match and games will be bitterly contested and hard fought with draw offers immediately rejected no matter how drawn the position in the hopes that the other side will blunder or over step the time control
take backs will not be allowed even for obvious mouse slips

all those with an interest are welcome to watch the games but only if you are rooting for the Tasc

CNN Regards
Steve
Wardy

Re: Clash Of The Titans...

Post by Wardy »

Heck! You're really going to put up the computers?!?!?!?! :shock:

Not sure If I'll make it, got a really early start on Monday :(

Best of luck!!
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Wardy wrote:Heck! You're really going to put up the computers?!?!?!?! :shock:

Not sure If I'll make it, got a really early start on Monday :(

Best of luck!!
Nah not really Paul
just trying to drum up interest in the match is all

Peaceful Regards
Strve
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Phew!!!

Have to say I've enjoyed all the games you've held on playchess so far, it's a very refreshing change from watching engines battle it out :twisted:

There'sjust something special about sitting down with a dedicated unit, no screen glare, no noisy fans (Sparc & R40 with standing I believe), real pieces sat infront of you, a digital sample of a chess clock ticking away as you settle down for 40/2hrs. I even own a DGT & XL clock and it's still not the same as playing the real deal. If only I could go back to 1995 and instead of buying my Team Marin I should have got a Tasc!

Just wish I had something exotic to battle with myself!!!

Best of luck regards

Paul
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Wardy wrote:Phew!!!

Have to say I've enjoyed all the games you've held on playchess so far, it's a very refreshing change from watching engines battle it out :twisted:

There'sjust something special about sitting down with a dedicated unit, no screen glare, no noisy fans (Sparc & R40 with standing I believe), real pieces sat infront of you, a digital sample of a chess clock ticking away as you settle down for 40/2hrs. I even own a DGT & XL clock and it's still not the same as playing the real deal. If only I could go back to 1995 and instead of buying my Team Marin I should have got a Tasc!

Just wish I had something exotic to battle with myself!!!

Best of luck regards

Paul

Well Paul that Team Marin certainly is not copped liver..pretty nice bike and the cost would get you a dozen chess computers
:wink:

im glad you enjoyed the games ..
Best Regards
Steve
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Best of luck Gents, as I type this Harvey is waiting to kick off, hopefully one of you will post the PGN tomorrow as I've got to hit the hay :cry:
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

and the result was????????? or have I missed that post (again?!)

on tenter hooks regards

Paul
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Wardy wrote:and the result was????????? or have I missed that post (again?!)

on tenter hooks regards

Paul
hi PAUL
no you didnt miss it

i had to cancel the game because my home got its basement flooded thanks to yesterdays Epic NorEaster that hit the East Coast

Game 1 has been rescheduled for Tomorrow Morning between 5AM-6 AM

Dog paddling Regards
Steve
Alainza

Post by Alainza »

Hi Steve,
Steve B wrote:i had to cancel the game because my home got its basement flooded thanks to yesterdays Epic NorEaster that hit the East Coast
I hope that the water did not do too much damage ! Here we have a summer time :?
I won't be able to attend this event...

By the way, Steve, do you know that you helped chessbase sell another Fritz ? :lol:
As I don't play online, I did not want to buy a playchess pass... but because of my frustration during the Hiarcs-Resurrection game, I bought Fritz 10 today and I hope I'll be able to chat the next time I watch one of your famous challenges :wink:

OK, just to preserve the right balance between programs and dedicated machines :roll: I also signed for a Renaissance Sparc today...

Preparing for Paris 2007 regards,
Alain
Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Alainza wrote:Hi Steve,
Steve B wrote:i had to cancel the game because my home got its basement flooded thanks to yesterdays Epic NorEaster that hit the East Coast
I hope that the water did not do too much damage ! Here we have a summer time :?
I won't be able to attend this event...

By the way, Steve, do you know that you helped chessbase sell another Fritz ? :lol:
As I don't play online, I did not want to buy a playchess pass... but because of my frustration during the Hiarcs-Resurrection game, I bought Fritz 10 today and I hope I'll be able to chat the next time I watch one of your famous challenges :wink:

OK, just to preserve the right balance between programs and dedicated machines :roll: I also signed for a Renaissance Sparc today...

Preparing for Paris 2007 regards,
Alain
If all these matches have done is make you buy another Fritz to watch our games then I suspect I have failed - why not buy H10 - if you need a serial number?

Feeling I need to break my silence regards,

Harvey