The Gods Rejoice! Successful TASC R30 display replacement

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

DD-OK

The Gods Rejoice! Successful TASC R30 display replacement

Post by DD-OK »

In two previous threads, I first lamented the broken state of my wonderful TASC R30, and later gave a partial update based on some helpful leads from the esteemed members herein. Now the story can be (nearly) fully told.

In short, the Solomon Godentek LM6270 has enough contrast voltage range overlap with the original Sharp LM24014 display module, so that all I had to do was:

- Order Solomon Godentek LM6270SYL from www.shopeio.com for $20 plus shipping
- plug into original TASC R30 display cable
- turn on machine
- cheer!

The contrast setting only works on one end of the range, but at that end the image is crisp and dark - perfect.

Now I have to carefully remove the old display (which is glued in), affix the new one, and have at it. Due to travel, I won't complete that for another week and a half.

But, I can now roam the earth in peace, knowing that upon my return home, after a little work with a knife and hot glue gun, I will once again be able to enjoy the wonders of a wooden, master-strength chess computer with wonderful informative display and amazing piece recognition board.

Heaven on earth? Perhaps.

Celestial Regards,

DD-OK
Graham Banks

Re: The Gods Rejoice! Successful TASC R30 display replaceme

Post by Graham Banks »

DD-OK wrote:I can now roam the earth in peace
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm glad you rescued your Tasc.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Well Done!

you were obviously up to the Tasc

Impressed Regards
Steve
DD-OK

Post by DD-OK »

Thanks Steve, Perhaps my trek can make the TASC easier for others in this plight. I assume that failed TASC displays will be somewhat common after more and more years.

DO NOT BELIEVE THE MYTH found on the net that the Optrex pin out is mirror image of the SHARP (especially since the Solomon is the same as the Optrex). I found they were the same, but the voltage range is not compatible. I am sure if I knew something about electronics, I could have made it work. However, the Solomon compatible display seems to obviate the need for any board mod.

If you don't succeed

Try try again regards

DD-OK
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

DD-OK wrote:Thanks Steve, Perhaps my trek can make the TASC easier for others in this plight. I assume that failed TASC displays will be somewhat common after more and more years.

DO NOT BELIEVE THE MYTH found on the net that the Optrex pin out is mirror image of the SHARP (especially since the Solomon is the same as the Optrex). I found they were the same, but the voltage range is not compatible. I am sure if I knew something about electronics, I could have made it work. However, the Solomon compatible display seems to obviate the need for any board mod.

If you don't succeed

Try try again regards

DD-OK
Mark..
you can be sure that i am bookmarking your member name and committing it to memory
the first sign of trouble with the displays on either of my Tasc's and you can expect a visit from me
after all...

NJ is not far from me Regards
Steve
Alainza

Post by Alainza »

Congratulations !!!

Best regards,
Alain
Ross Boyd

Post by Ross Boyd »