[OT] Has anybody heard from Sarah Bird recently?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tony Thomas

Re: [OT] Has anybody heard from Sarah Bird recently?

Post by Tony Thomas »

S.Taylor wrote:I would like, only to express my personal feelings here, after all I know I'm not the owner of this place, but I am a little bit saddened that my post was deleted.
I acknowledge that tim's was, too. But I expressed something that had been on my chest for many months. I think I also applied a complaint at the time which was ignored. I wonder if someone actually sentr a request to delete my post, or if it was simply the biassed feelings of the moderator.
I can appreciate, however, that it may not have run smoothly with most of the thread, and one or two other things. However, I'm a bit sad.
I might have liked an email appologising that it was necesary, and there again, it probably wasn't thought necesary.
I had seen your post, I thought about complaing but I didnt. Your post didnt fit with the thread at all, my post and Michael Sherwin's post was deleted as well because we joked around slightly.
Spock

Post by Spock »

S.Taylor wrote: I wonder if someone actually sentr a request to delete my post, or if it was simply the biassed feelings of the moderator.
Yes, I made the moderators aware of what was developing with this post.

It started off as a thread expressing concern for the well-being and whereabout of our colleague Sara Bird, and then degenerated into a slanging match about someone totally different. What you had to say may have been perfectly valid, but not in this thread.
mschribr

Post by mschribr »

Spock wrote:
S.Taylor wrote: I wonder if someone actually sentr a request to delete my post, or if it was simply the biassed feelings of the moderator.

It started off as a thread expressing concern for the well-being and whereabout of our colleague Sara Bird, and then degenerated into a slanging match about someone totally different. What you had to say may have been perfectly valid, but not in this thread.
It was valid and it should not have been deleted. There was very interesting historical information. I posted a link to an interview with the Spraklen chess programmers. If anything the subject of the thread was off the topic of computer chess. It was about the well being and contacting a particular person not computer chess. Some of the deleted posts were very enlightening about computer chess.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

mschribr wrote:
Spock wrote:

It was valid and it should not have been deleted. There was very interesting historical information. I posted a link to an interview with the Spraklen chess programmers. If anything the subject of the thread was off the topic of computer chess. It was about the well being and contacting a particular person not computer chess. Some of the deleted posts were very enlightening about computer chess.
The mods felt differently. The well being of Sarah outweighs the subject of computer chess.

Why don't you start a new thread about the Spracklens?

Seems easy enough, it would then be on topic in it's own and rightful thread. Wait a minute, Fernando started such a thread. Let's keep it in there shall we?
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

There are many ways of looking at it, and it has alot to do with personal taste or bias. A slight change of direction in a thread is common. Expressing a soft spot for someone is less common, in ccc.

As for me, I didn't think much, I just went ahead and took the liberty of using this oppurtunuty of expressing some hurt feelings. But if _I_ had not HAD those hurt feelings, and it was someone else doing the same thing, I admit I might have thought it bad behaviour!