New free chess database is out - ChessX

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

F.Huber

Re: New free chess database is out - ChessX

Post by F.Huber »

There´s still another problem with the installer:

It creates the following folder structure:

Code: Select all

C:\Programme\ChessX\bin\chessx.exe
C:\Programme\ChessX\data\...
When starting ChessX it gives an error message, that it cannot open theme ´default´ from directory ´C:/PROGRAMME/CHESSX/BIN/data/themes´.

From this error message it´s clear that the folder ´data´ is installed wrong - it either should be a sub-folder of ´bin´, or ´chessx.exe´ should be moved up one level directly into ´ChessX´ (and so ´bin´ isn´t needed any longer).
So the structure should be

C:\Programme\ChessX\chessx.exe
C:\Programme\ChessX\data\...
or

C:\Programme\ChessX\bin\chessx.exe
C:\Programme\ChessX\bin\data\...
Not really a big problem, but of course if using an installer at all, he should work!
Since nobody else has reported this problem yet (which still exists in the 0.2.0 version), maybe the reason is that I´m using the German version of Win98!?

BTW, the new version still shows 0.1 in the ´About´ box ...

Regards,
Franz.
whp

Post by whp »

The problem with ChessX invalid paths should be fixed for 0.3.0 version which is being prepared. I've read bug report comments about it on ChessX's SourceForge project site. Several bugs were closed and new features are comming - check it here.
fern

Post by fern »

Hey Dann, as an expert in the field, which free database you advice me to have?
I have took a look at some, like Scid, but I know there are several and I would like to pick up the best.
Let me add that I have chessbase 8, but for some reason I detest it. Too much complicated and cumbersome for an old fart as me.
I just want one contrivance that makes easy to get my own games from no matter what program and even best if it has some embedded engine.
My best
Fernando
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

fern wrote:Hey Dann, as an expert in the field, which free database you advice me to have?
I have took a look at some, like Scid, but I know there are several and I would like to pick up the best.
Let me add that I have chessbase 8, but for some reason I detest it. Too much complicated and cumbersome for an old fart as me.
I just want one contrivance that makes easy to get my own games from no matter what program and even best if it has some embedded engine.
My best
Fernando
There are several SCID flavors and all of them are good.
Jose is also very nice.
ChessAssistant is king of the chess databases for me, by far.
For a free one, I would suggest SCID or Jose. SCID has the most functionality. The updated versions are best and there are several of them (the old SCID page has turned into stone).

BTW, I finished the book. That era of history is right in my wheelhouse so I enjoyed it quite a lot. The wrecks at the bottom of the Black Sea are very compelling to me, and I hope someone manages to salvage a couple of them. There is something romantic about ancient Mariners (although culturally there seems to be something repulsive about each one of those ancient cultures as well).
fern

Post by fern »

Thanks for the adive, I will look at Jose and then decide.
Happy you liked the book. So far our interchanges has been good for both sides and I look forward that ever it will be so.
My best
fernando