A Crossroad in Computer Chess; Or Desperate Flailing for Relevance

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

chrisw

Re: A Crossroad in Computer Chess; Or Desperate Flailing for Relevance

Post by chrisw »

Alayan wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:19 pm
chrisw wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:04 pm That's one big assumption. Error mostly being the old chestnut that there is one solution to chess, which may be true given infinite space/time, but we don't have that, and in any case there are probably infinite pathways to the 'one' solution.
Using the same evaluation architecture creates a lot of limitations. The ways to reach a given strength level within a given eval architecture and the same search are much more narrow than with different architectures.

The strong Leela-compatible nets out there that aren't directly based on Leela training and aim for maximum strength still come up as very similar in behavior.
I wish people wouldn’t snip the prior thread flow.

You said “converge the same eval solution”. Now changed to “similar in behaviour”. Not the same thing.

“Similar in behaviour” is way to woffly an expression. It can mean whatever you want it to mean and is thus meaningless. “Converge the same eval solution” is measurable. And entirely not proven.
The argument everything will be the same is not proven. It’s also not proven that you are just miffed that a mass of amateur competition sprang up from stage left and overtook you.
Well, tough. It happens.
Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Post by Alayan »

chrisw wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:34 pm
Alayan wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:19 pm Using the same evaluation architecture creates a lot of limitations. The ways to reach a given strength level within a given eval architecture and the same search are much more narrow than with different architectures.

The strong Leela-compatible nets out there that aren't directly based on Leela training and aim for maximum strength still come up as very similar in behavior.
Not just talking to you here, I wish some people on talkchess would learn to only quote the relevant portion of a post instead of keeping the full quote history and the full messages even if replying to a part, resulting in messes with 10 messages embedded into each other.

The previous messages aren't disappearing, to follow the conversation in full context, start at the beginning.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

Alayan wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:53 pm
chrisw wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:34 pm
Alayan wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:19 pm Using the same evaluation architecture creates a lot of limitations. The ways to reach a given strength level within a given eval architecture and the same search are much more narrow than with different architectures.

Not just talking to you here, I wish some people on talkchess would learn to only quote the relevant portion
it us not for you decide what is relevant in a prior post. I object to you cutting out a part of my post, and the material it was responding to, because of your arrogant idea of what is and what is not relevant. Actually it is just plain rude. Or more commonly because the snipper doesn’t like what was being posted, so wants to remove it from sight.
By all means cut away prior posters when not relevant but if you reply to me do NOT censor out bits I wrote that you don’t like. It’s cheap.

of a post instead of keeping the full quote history and the full messages even if replying to a part, resulting in messes with 10 messages embedded into each other.

The previous messages aren't disappearing, to follow the conversation in full context, start at the beginning.
Pompous
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

chrisw wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:12 pm By all means cut away prior posters when not relevant but if you reply to me do NOT censor out bits I wrote that you don’t like. It’s cheap.
No one has censored you. Your comments exist in full in the thread.

Please lets not derail yet another thread. I'm curious about what authors think here. I'm not curious about what entails proper forum quoting etiquette.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

AndrewGrant wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:04 pm
chrisw wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:12 pm By all means cut away prior posters when not relevant but if you reply to me do NOT censor out bits I wrote that you don’t like. It’s cheap.

Please lets not derail yet another thread. I'm curious about what authors think here. I'm not curious about what entails proper forum quoting etiquette.
The two of you are you are playing Tweedledum and Tweedledee mutual massage and snip. If you both were not busy snipping away content and made replies to content you could have your wish. It's not YOUR thread, not YOUR agenda only, it's a forum thread. Stop with the snipping of my words, I don't like it, it's rude. It's what bad arguers with agendas do. By all means cut stuff rolling off the top of the page but have the common courtesy to leave in the text of the person you are replying to.

I already made plain my opinions on computer chess.
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

chrisw wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:00 am
AndrewGrant wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:04 pm

The two of you are you are playing Tweedledum and Tweedledee mutual massage and snip. If you both were not busy snipping away content and made replies to content you could have your wish. It's not YOUR thread, not YOUR agenda only, it's a forum thread. Stop with the snipping of my words, I don't like it, it's rude. It's what bad arguers with agendas do. By all means cut stuff rolling off the top of the page but have the common courtesy to leave in the text of the person you are replying to.

I already made plain my opinions on computer chess.
Christ I hate this forum.
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Madeleine Birchfield
Full name: Madeleine Birchfield

Post by Madeleine Birchfield »

At least the people interested in NNUE are trying to do their own implementation of NNUE + trainer, as opposed to outright copying the NNUE backend code, so I do not see NNUE being much of an issue in the future. That cannot be said about Allie, which is still using Leela trained nets + Leela backends.

In regards to the wider picture, very few self-developed engines that is not a derivative of Stockfish or Leela would ever reach the heights of Stockfish or Leela, because individual efforts simply cannot compete directly against large distributed projects with massive computational power. So far, there is only one private engine, Stoofvlees, that comes close to Stockfish and Leela, and even Stoofvlees is weaker than Stockfish and Leela. Examples from Rubichess, Minic, and Igel simply show that it not enough to implement NNUE in an engine and take a sergio vieri net and expect to compete with Stockfish and Leela, the search needs to be good as well, and for most engines, their search is far weaker than Stockfish search to compete with Stockfish and Leela, or even Stoofvlees. So already at the highest levels of computer chess, as the OP said, 'The result is that there are two engines left; Stockfish, and Leela.'
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Madeleine Birchfield wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:18 am At least the people interested in NNUE are trying to do their own implementation of NNUE + trainer, as opposed to outright copying the NNUE backend code, so I do not see NNUE being much of an issue in the future. That cannot be said about Allie, which is still using Leela trained nets + Leela backends.
Well so I'm not sure thats entirely true. I might be wrong, but I think Slowchess author, and I are the only two playing with NN that are not using the SF learning code as a backbone.

Alayan said it well before. King-Piece covers ... everything. It replaced the entire evaluation. Sure, SF folks are playing games to skip some NN evals, mostly just for speed ups and some search stability. But Stockfish's eval is all but obsolete.
maksimKorzh
Full name: Maksim Korzh

Post by maksimKorzh »

AndrewGrant wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:33 am Two years and some months ago, Alpha Zero dropped their initial paper, claiming to have thrashed Stockfish by a damning margin. People were quick to take a side. After the dust settled, I think most agreed that Alpha Zero's conditions were inane, and the the result was not indicative of a shift in the times. In the same time, Leela entered the scene. Over the last two years Leela has stayed close to Stockfish in strength, but has increasingly reduced the hardware required to do so.

I was never a fan of the Leela projects appearance on the scene. I thought, and still think, that GPUs vs CPUs is an unfair comparison. Of course, time passed and the Leela team managed to reach similar strength, but without the use of GPUs -- a total repudiation of my original stance. Anyway, more so than Leela, I was concerned about a new wave of engines, all built upon the work of the Leela project. I expected to see a dozen engines, all with only slight variance and nuance added. Blessed, this never came to be. Leela and Allie are, to me, twins. The other NNs out there don't bare the same relation to the Leela projects. They have different trainers, or different datasets, or different structures, or different back-ends. I think, and I hope, there is something special about each of them.

Now, in recent months, a similar series of developments are happening. NNUEs, or rather, I want to be specific, the King-Piece structures used in Stockfish, are flooding the scene. With a few hours work, an author can copy paste some code from CFish or Stockfish, add the incremental update code, and with some debugging they can begin playing games with Stockfish's Networks. In the last month a half dozen authors have posted their results from using the Stockfish structure/networks -- almost all +200 elo or more.

For the most part in Computer Chess, specific ideas and implementations are not transferable. Sure, we all have the same NMP, LMR, FMP, Probcut, Singular Extensions techniques, but in search if you try a patch pushed to Stockfish this week, it will likely fail. An even better example is evaluation. Evaluation functions are so specific to engines, so fine tuned to the already existing ideas, that virtually all attempts to take an idea from another engine, without significant changes or reworking, is futile.

So its odd, or to me it is, that someone can plug Stockfish's Network files into their own engine, and share in the same success. In fact, its not odd, its concerning. One can treat the Network file as (I could be wrong on the math, I don't know the structure) nearly, if not over, a million tiny evaluation terms. So I ask myself this: I cannot copy idea X from Stockfish's eval into Ethereal. But if I copy a million weights from Stockfish, then my evaluation is so similar to Stockfish, that I then become able to take X.

Well so, obviously Stockfish does not have global claim to the idea of NNs using King-Piece inputs. Its essentially a giant PSQT input, with King-Piece crossing. No one here has the rights to PSQTs -- everyone has one, everyone uses one, no one bats an eye.

----

I worry about the future of Computer Chess. I see a timeline where a dozen engines use something very similar to Stockfish's methods. They all shoot up in elo. New developers, people working on their own innovations, are disheartened. They ask themselves why they toil away on their new ideas and tweaks, when one can just embrace the NNUE and be on an equal playing field with the top tiers of engines. So they leave. I leave. Alayan leaves. Many others leave. The result is that there are two engines left; Stockfish, and Leela. I don't find that interesting. Maybe others do I suppose.

At the same time, this is me jumping up and down, waving my hands, saying "Hey, I've been working on Ethereal for 60hrs a week for the last 6 years. I've done all this work, spent all this time and energy. But now if you want to play at Stockfish's level, you just need to download the training code, feed in your evals, wait a few billion clock cycles, and presto, its done. Why should I bother?"

I released a tuning paper a few months ago. It was the culmination of a years effort on various implementations, as well as likely over a hundred different methodologies for building datasets. I shared that paper, and I shared pieces of the Ethereal data, about 10 million positions at a time, to all those who asked. I think, two years ago, this would have made a splash. In fact, I still believe that someone could perform the same exercise as I outline, and gain +15 elo or more to Stockfish's static evaluation (pre-NNUE). But now my work is futile?

I built an open source framework that mimics Fishtest, but works for many engines at a time. We support engines of all types. C, C++, Rust, Java, and virtually anything you can compile on two platforms. With the help of Noobpwnftw, we hooked up machines and built a framework for authors to work on their own projects -- but share with others at the same time. I run my tests, and others can see them and tinker. Others run their tests, and I can see them in tinker. It was a venture in facilitating a greater exchange of ideas in Computer Chess. A venture in promoting stronger, but nuanced and diverse engines. But now my work is futile?

I feel that soon it will become clear that I've spent six years to do nothing. Ethereal, unless I too copy paste the NNUEs, will be tossed out and placed on the dustbin of history. I never expected to be at the top -- but I got close. At a time, the 5 strongest engines in the world were {Stockfish, Komodo, Houdini, Fire, Ethereal}. We learned that Houdini and Fire were stolen goods. So at a time Ethereal was #3 -- but still far far far from #2. I could make progress towards tackling Komodo, while gaining ground on the rest of the field. Prior to two months ago, if you asked me, I would tell you that Ethereal would surpass Komodo in two years. Now I can't say that. I won't use Stockfish's methods. I'm adding my own NN ideas to Ethereal, but it bores me. I'm praying that one can beat NNUE King-Piece networks with some brilliant architecture. But my hopes fall each day.

I could be all wrong. I could be out of touch. But if I'm not, then the future of computer chess, the future of unique and diverse engines, depends upon all of us, as individuals, to encourage and promote new ideas while discouraging those who take from Stockfish without trying their hand at the problem. I'm already concerned when I see engines with Stockfish nets being placed onto rating lists.
Hi Andy, after reading your touching post I couldn't stay apart...
Can you please clarify a couple of points for otherwise it's hard to comment.

1. Are you making money on chess programming (I mean does the strength of Ethereal affect your income?)
2. If so - then why to get concerned by the fact the world is going to hell when this happens in other aspects but chess programming as well?
3. If not - then again why to get concerned? Your work would be inspiring other programmers for years!

Even though that even after 5 years I still won't be able to understand the TRUE VALUE of your work because of being too dumb,
still your work can't be futile. The strength of the chess engine is obviously objective measure, but for me personally while choosing
between a stronger engine that I can't understand how it works and weaker engine (200-300ELO weaker!) that I DO UNDERSTAND -
I would definitely consider the weaker one because strength without understanding is pointless. Same for NNUE from stockfish - without
being able to generate weights from scratch THIS IS NOT YOUR evaluation and not your engine's ELO growth. So I completely agree
that using NNUE is pointless from this perspective.

SUMMARY:
I believe you should continue your work as if Leela on the one hand and NNUE on the other never existed.
IGNORE modern fancy trends because they are just modern fancy trends.
Go your own way. Always.
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

maksimKorzh wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:32 am 1. Are you making money on chess programming (I mean does the strength of Ethereal affect your income?)
2. If so - then why to get concerned by the fact the world is going to hell when this happens in other aspects but chess programming as well?
3. If not - then again why to get concerned? Your work would be inspiring other programmers for years!
I've not made any money off of Ethereal. In fact, the opposite, as I've spent thousands on testing rigs, and hundreds to host servers for OpenBench.
maksimKorzh wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:32 am I believe you should continue your work as if Leela on the one hand and NNUE on the other never existed.
IGNORE modern fancy trends because they are just modern fancy trends.
Go your own way. Always.
You may be right. But refer to the top -- Ethereal is not a monetary thing. The pleasure I derive from Ethereal is seeing Ethereal compete and perform well. It makes me want to improve more. To move up the rankings. Or to play better and faster and more exciting. I see those motivations drying up due to NNUE.