Problem with UCI engines under Chessbase

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Metaphysician
Full name: Neil Kulick

Problem with UCI engines under Chessbase

Post by Metaphysician »

Hello. I use Chessbase 15 (and 14) for help with my correspondence chess games. For several months now, when I use a UCI engine to analyze a position, the engine hangs at some point, and frustratingly, I lose my analysis.
When an engine hangs, I get an error message notifying me that “This is a problem with the engine.” I’ve tried rebooting and also reducing the hash size to 4096.
I have a two-Xeon machine with 24 logical cores and am running Windows 10 64-bit. I have 128 GB of RAM.
Do any of the knowledgeable folks here have any suggestions for fixing the problem?
Thank you.
Ovyron

Re: Problem with UCI engines under Chessbase

Post by Ovyron »

Did you change something when this started?

I used to get such random crashes due to overheating and cleaning up the hardware helped to stop them.
Metaphysician

Post by Metaphysician »

Thank you. I don't recall changing anything when this started.
When do you mean by "cleaning up the hardware?"
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Metaphysician wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:16 pm When do you mean by "cleaning up the hardware?"
Dust gets inside the CPU case, this dust causes overheating which causes problems like the OS freezing or programs crashing. You have to open the case and get rid of the dust, for this you have to... eh... I doubt I can explain better the procedure than these guys, but if your problem suddenly appeared out of nowhere, it's possible it's just the dust...
Metaphysician

Post by Metaphysician »

Thank you. I suppose what you suggest is worth a try. But Chessbase is working fine, except that engines hang. And I’m not having a problem with any other program on the machine.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

If this is the problem it'll tend to get worse over time and start affecting other programs.