TCEC should reconsider the ban on Ethereal

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Re: TCEC should reconsider the ban on Ethereal

Post by AndrewGrant »

Well so all this is clearly insanity. So I will just say the following:

I am the author of Ethereal
I am listed in the authors file of Stockfish
I am an approver for fishtest, and regularly do so
I have made direct commits to Laser to improve SMP, as well as efficiency
I have talked at GREAT lengths with Nitrocan (SCTR / Defenchess), and helped to improve his engine (he has done the same for me)
I am also even now listed in the Xiphos repo, citing Ethereal as an inspiration / tool / whatever, in his development.

There are not now, nor have there ever been, any questions as to my interests and intentions in this community. If so, I would not so aggressively associate myself and improve other projects which are direct "competitors" to my own.

I imagine only the troll in this thread feels otherwise, but I think enumerating my activities should be clarify anything for those in doubt.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

hgm wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:48 pm At the WCCC? Normally moderators would only see postings that are reported, and they would only act against those when these violate the charter.
I wasn't thinking of the moderators here (so I wasn't serious) but of the rather more trigger-happy TCEC moderators.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

tpoppins wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:59 pm
gotogo wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:41 pm Doesn't Andrew work on stockfish? Could he introduce a bug or something into stockfish promoting his own engine? Doesn't seem right he has own engine and works on stockfish too!!! I for one am very skeptical over this one! Conflict of interest? Is he working with other developers on fishtest? Is he using fishtest resources to modify his engine? There is many ways to look at what might be going on here! I think something crooked here!!! Maybe tcec 13 not so good!
Amazingly perceptive observations. Let's not forget Lucas B. too, the author of Discocheck and Demolito, who's been a main SF contributor for years. No wonder that despite being developed for a decade Stockfish is still a mere 3400 Elo -- it's been sabotaged almost from the start. It could have been over 9000!
Worth nothing that Lucas is also a contributer to Ethereal. He cleaned up and removed a few hundred lines of code about a month ago. He is also responsible for the PEXT/BMI2 support.

And, also, when I released Ethereal SMP, I explicitly said that my threading implementation / framework was based on his. Small world.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )