Search found 603 matches

by zamar
Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:54 pm
Forum: Computer Chess Club: Programming and Technical Discussions
Topic: volatile?
Replies: 186
Views: 25697

Re: volatile?

On the other hand, Stockfish also declares all shared variables as volatile. And I know that Marco is much more knowledgeable than I am in C++, especially when it comes to multi-threading. So I can't help wondering if there isn't indeed a good reason for all this volatile stuff :? A variable access...
by zamar
Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:41 pm
Forum: Computer Chess Club: General Topics
Topic: Competition for stockfish by stockfish derivative is needed
Replies: 40
Views: 7368

Re: Competition for stockfish by stockfish derivative is nee

In open source World, you are free to fork and set up your own shared testing environment... But trust me, managing a high-quality project (like SF) is much more difficult than what it looks like... Everybody is always blaming prime minister and government for everything they don't like, but how lon...
by zamar
Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:02 am
Forum: Computer Chess Club: Programming and Technical Discussions
Topic: fixed time control management
Replies: 9
Views: 2281

Re: fixed time control management

In orthodox Chess, with so many games available, it should of course be easy to take statistics. The main difficulty is deciding when games are decided. In any game there comes a situation where you can win it against perfect play in virtually zero time, but for games played upto checkmate, this mi...
by zamar
Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:40 pm
Forum: Computer Chess Club: Programming and Technical Discussions
Topic: Looking for C developper
Replies: 111
Views: 16840

Re: Looking for C developper

For example, I could learn Go (the board game) and Go (the programming language) and write a concurrent Go program, just so I can call it GoGo (or someone has already done it?). Now that would be a real challenge. I wrote a small Go (board game) engine a few years ago. Just for a change really. It ...
by zamar
Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:05 pm
Forum: Computer Chess Club: Programming and Technical Discussions
Topic: Interesting (Chinese) Chess variant
Replies: 17
Views: 1840

Re: Interesting (Chinese) Chess variant

For me it sounds like that some kind of Monte Carlo simulation technique is needed here... Something similar that is used in Go-engines nowadays?
by zamar
Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:05 am
Forum: Computer Chess Club: Programming and Technical Discussions
Topic: Looking for C developper
Replies: 111
Views: 16840

Re: Looking for C developper

I'm starting to be bored of developing DiscoCheck: As with any advanced program, I only use my brain only 1% of the time, and the remaining 99% I use time and electricity... Code is becoming messy, and many design choices I wish (in hindsight) I had done them differently. Now it's getting hard to m...
by zamar
Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:57 am
Forum: Computer Chess Club: Programming and Technical Discussions
Topic: needed CLOP for cluster
Replies: 11
Views: 2299

Re: needed CLOP for cluster

Another way to overcome latency is to create a pipe by letting clop request more games than there are processors, and queue the game requests for each processor locally. This way each processor could start the next game as soon as it sends the result of the previous game. There is no need to modify...
by zamar
Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:39 am
Forum: Computer Chess Club: General Topics
Topic: 5 underestimated evaluation rules
Replies: 10
Views: 3195

Re: 5 underestimated evaluation rules

A while ago I tested implementing (3) in SF. I know that Ipp* engines have this feature. No elo gain for SF in my test.
by zamar
Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:03 am
Forum: Computer Chess Club: Programming and Technical Discussions
Topic: needed CLOP for cluster
Replies: 11
Views: 2299

Re: needed CLOP for cluster

CLOP can be fully well be run on multiple machines at the same time, no problem. In fact it has been designed to do this. Of course there is no "out of the box" solution. You need to write a script to send the parameters to another machine, wait the game to complete and then read the result back. H...
by zamar
Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:46 pm
Forum: Computer Chess Club: Programming and Technical Discussions
Topic: needed CLOP for cluster
Replies: 11
Views: 2299

Re: needed CLOP for cluster

CLOP can be fully well be run on multiple machines at the same time, no problem. In fact it has been designed to do this. Of course there is no "out of the box" solution. You need to write a script to send the parameters to another machine, wait the game to complete and then read the result back. Ho...