Did anyone notice the 100 Elo explosion in LCZero?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Did anyone notice the 100 Elo explosion in LCZero?

Post by Dann Corbit »

http://lczero.org/

I am keen for an explanation.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: Did anyone notice the 100 Elo explosion in LCZero?

Post by mar »

bigger networks
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

mar wrote:bigger networks
that was easy ;-)
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
fierz

Post by fierz »

I am playing it on a more or less regular basis in the easy mode (= as far as I can see just playing the move the policy network recommends without any search) - I am very impressed by what I see there. I have trouble beating it despite being a strong chess player, and I definitely do some calculations :-)

I'm very curious to see how far this goes!
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

wrong setup :)

Bigger network but tested with fixed nodes per moves
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Daniel Shawul wrote:wrong setup :)

Bigger network but tested with fixed nodes per moves
Yes, you're right, +100 elo but 2x slower. Also self-play inflates about 2x.

But I'm running a test now and so far it seems much stronger than the last one I tested (217) even if it runs at half speed.
Still too early to draw conclusions but ID 217 scored 35% against 2CPU Cheng in 100 games,
now it's 47% but only 34 games, still it seems to work very well.

I'm really excited about this project, it will soon pass 3k CCRL on consumer hardware, looking forward to see next TCEC.
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

Yes,
the nps are about 50% lower under the same conditions.
So maybe not much difference in strenght.
Werner
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Werner wrote:Yes,
Yes, I think the self-play is not done in timed games, but a fixed nodes or depth or whatever, so 100 Elo in self-play would mean it is not taking into account the slower speed that will reduce strength in timed games.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
jkiliani

Post by jkiliani »

Albert Silver wrote:
Yes, I think the self-play is not done in timed games, but a fixed nodes or depth or whatever, so 100 Elo in self-play would mean it is not taking into account the slower speed that will reduce strength in timed games.
Correct, all self-play matches are done at fixed 800 nodes. The strength at fixed time controls is roughly similar right now between the new 192x15 net and the previous 128x10 network. Still, this makes sense for self-play Elo, since the gain will mean much higher quality of the training data from now on. Also, the new network size has a lot of growth potential and should be able to gain a couple hundred more Elo over the coming weeks.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

jkiliani wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Correct, all self-play matches are done at fixed 800 nodes. The strength at fixed time controls is roughly similar right now between the new 192x15 net and the previous 128x10 network. Still, this makes sense for self-play Elo, since the gain will mean much higher quality of the training data from now on. Also, the new network size has a lot of growth potential and should be able to gain a couple hundred more Elo over the coming weeks.
I wasn't complaining, just noting. The new 227 is about similar strength to the last editions of older NN, though a bit more boring to watch. Still, I expect that will change soon as it begins to take shape. Looking forward to it.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."