Start Your Engines

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: Start Your Engines

Post by Dann Corbit »

arunsoorya1309 wrote:Dann dont reply when you are drunk probably
I never get drunk. But I have been known to down 3oz single malt in a relatively short period of time. Not the same thing, as I am over 100Kg.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Dann Corbit wrote:As you know, Ed. The dog ate my homework.
BTW, I have literally tens of thousands of positions that are nearly insoluble.
If you want to turn the planet's PCs int smoking piles of junk, just let me know.
What I would want to see is your nearly insoluble positions featured in some new competition that doesn't mix "find the best move" with silly "find x for the position that is a mate in x" problems...
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Ovyron wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:As you know, Ed. The dog ate my homework.
BTW, I have literally tens of thousands of positions that are nearly insoluble.
If you want to turn the planet's PCs int smoking piles of junk, just let me know.
What I would want to see is your nearly insoluble positions featured in some new competition that doesn't mix "find the best move" with silly "find x for the position that is a mate in x" problems...
There will never be a perfect contest.
There will never be a perfect problem.
But there are things in between that are plenty of fun, if we don't get our buns in a knot.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Dann Corbit wrote:There will never be a perfect contest.
But there are things in between that are plenty of fun, if we don't get our buns in a knot.
Around here we say "perfect is the enemy of good". But I have tried both, and in practice, being a perfectionist always brings in better things than being a conformist, though the former is a lot more frustrating...

Heh, chess is like life, isn't it? Are we happy that the move is good enough and make it on the board, or keep searching for the best one?
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Ovyron wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:There will never be a perfect contest.
Around here we say "perfect is the enemy of good". But I have tried both, and in practice, being a perfectionist always brings in better things than being a conformist, though the former is a lot more frustrating...

Heh, chess is like life, isn't it? Are we happy that the move is good enough and make it on the board, or keep searching for the best one?
I do agree with this in full.
Scally
Full name: Alan Cooper

Post by Scally »

Hi Ed,

I sent in my Week 6 answers last night, yet my score is unaltered. Please let me know if you get them or if I need to send them again before round 7.

Thanks Al (aka Scally)
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Scally wrote:Hi Ed,

I sent in my Week 6 answers last night, yet my score is unaltered. Please let me know if you get them or if I need to send them again before round 7.

Thanks Al (aka Scally)
Please try again, nothing in my inbox.
Scally
Full name: Alan Cooper

Post by Scally »

Rebel wrote:
Scally wrote:Hi Ed,

Thanks Al (aka Scally)
Please try again, nothing in my inbox.
Thanks,

Sent again.

Al.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

http://rebel13.nl/rebel13/hard.html

Week-7 up and it's the last week as I am running out of positions, actually 3 of the 4 new positions are contributed by Dann.

But hey, let's end with a boom, there are 8 points to gain and 4 candidates for the gold medal.

May the silicon be with you.
Spliffjiffer

Post by Spliffjiffer »

im not sure wether position 2 from last week is correctly solved:
according to my analysis 1. Rh3 is better than 1.Rg1 but im not completely sure if i missed sth significantly better for black...its very hard to backtrack the whole line for me...
[d]r3rnk1/1bq1bpp1/pp2p3/3pP2Q/P4p2/1NNB1R2/1PP4P/2KR4 w - - 0 1
1. Rh3 f5 2. Re1 f3 3. Qh8+ Kf7 4. Rg3 g6 5. Kb1 f2 6. Rf1 d4 7. Ne2 Bc5 8. Rxf2 Ke7 9. Nexd4 Kd8 10. Rd2 Qe7 11. Bb5 Kc7 12. Bxe8 Rxe8 13. Rc3 Kb8 14. Qh6 Rc8 15. a5

if i compare this line with my mainline of 1.Rg1 im pretty much convinced that 1.Rh3 is better !?

my mainline for 1.Rg1:
1. Rg1 f5 2. Rxg7+ Kxg7 3. Rh3 Ng6 4. Bxf5 exf5 5. Qh7+ Kf8 6. e6 Bd6 7. Qxg6 Be5 8. Rh5 Bg7 9. Nd4 Bxd4 10. Rxf5+ Ke7 11. Rf7+ Kd6 12. Rxc7 Kxc7 13. Qf7+ Kd6 14. Qd7+ Ke5 15. Qg7+ Kxe6 16. Qxd4

did i missed sth or does someone has similiar impressions ...oc i compleately rely on the scores the engine is giving (lol), i myself cant say anything wise about this analysis ?
Wahrheiten sind Illusionen von denen wir aber vergessen haben dass sie welche sind.