Start Your Engines

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ovyron

Re: Start Your Engines

Post by Ovyron »

Rebel wrote:
Ovyron wrote:Okay, this seems right up my alley, if you see some Uly participating it's me trying to crack the positions.

Thanks for creating such a concept.
To Uly or not to Uly, that's the question, but so far it is the latter :wink:
Well, I blame you! The page you linked to has this "Misc" Menu at the top, and on there an Item called "Anecdotes", how can one resist? And after I was done I got stuck reading some Jeroen Comments on some Deep Blue Junior games... Not that I'm complaining.

Anyway, I like the idea of being ahead of Michael B if I managed to send the expected move on the first position and he didn't, and on future weeks we get all 4 and he's never able to defeat me :twisted: - but yeah, I'm not a fan of positions with multiple winning moves, what if you enjoy torturing the opponent? In that case the slower mate is just as good, if not better.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Rebel wrote:Start Your Engines is a fun game and competition to explore and solve very hard positions. Each week 4 of such positions are presented on this page and the goal is to find the right moves and to contribute the moves in the below entry form.

For each correct answer you get one point and at the end of the week solutions are given and the ranking is updated.

Pick yourself a nickname (or use your real name), a valid email address for verification purposes only in case of doubt and start enjoying the beauty of chess. To get the position click on the c8 square, the script will show you the PGN | EPD | FEN. Consulting databases is allowed, just find the right moves..

http://rebel13.nl/rebel13/hard.html
Without giving the key and spoiling the contest, can anyone confirm that Position 1 is mate-in-19? Cfish seems unable to do better than that.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

zullil wrote:
Rebel wrote:Start Your Engines is a fun game and competition to explore and solve very hard positions. Each week 4 of such positions are presented on this page and the goal is to find the right moves and to contribute the moves in the below entry form.

For each correct answer you get one point and at the end of the week solutions are given and the ranking is updated.

Pick yourself a nickname (or use your real name), a valid email address for verification purposes only in case of doubt and start enjoying the beauty of chess. To get the position click on the c8 square, the script will show you the PGN | EPD | FEN. Consulting databases is allowed, just find the right moves..

Without giving the key and spoiling the contest, can anyone confirm that Position 1 is mate-in-19? Cfish seems unable to do better than that.
I sent you the info via PM, Houdini 6.03 shows mate in 19. Reached D64 so far.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by zullil »

Thanks, Ted. I don't have Cfish's full line with me, but it agrees at the start with the one you sent.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

zullil wrote:Thanks, Ted. I don't have Cfish's full line with me, but it agrees at the start with the one you sent.
I now wonder ...

[Removed]

I don't know which engine is giving this, but from Chessbase I see this.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by zullil »

Remove the pic! It reveals the key.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

MikeB wrote:
Rebel wrote:
MikeB wrote:I'm afraid you will have to come up with harder positions - much harder. :shock:
Really? :wink:

You had the first one wrong, see the page, yet 75% is not a bad start at all.

But okay, your wish is my command, will post 4 real hard ones in week 2.
It was late and I didn’t think I would have to find the shortest mate.
No, best move is enough.
But here the best move is really strong !
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

While preparing week-2 for tomorrow I pressed a wrong button and now week-2 is up 6.5 hours too early. Time for the silicon again.

About week-1, the first position seemed to be the hardest one but apparently not for Nigel Short. The king walk 1. Kh2 2. Kg3 3. Kf4 all the way to h6 is brilliant.
Scally
Full name: Alan Cooper

Post by Scally »

Hi,

The fens are not working for position 2 & 3?

Cheers,

Al.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Scally wrote: The fens are not working for position 2 & 3?
Everything is fine here. Click on the b8 square.