Debugging UCI engine

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kdelwat

Debugging UCI engine

Post by kdelwat »

I've almost finished the first version of a basic chess engine in Go, which implements UCI for communication. However, I'm running into an annoying sporadic crash when playing games against it, which SCIDvsPC reports as "The UCI engine terminated with error code: "" ".

Is there an alternate interface which will show me the logs of communication between the interface and the engine, so that I can see any error messages on the crash? I can't reproduce the bug without using the interface, typing commands directly never seems to crash it.
Dann Corbit

Re: Debugging UCI engine

Post by Dann Corbit »

kdelwat wrote:I've almost finished the first version of a basic chess engine in Go, which implements UCI for communication. However, I'm running into an annoying sporadic crash when playing games against it, which SCIDvsPC reports as "The UCI engine terminated with error code: "" ".

Is there an alternate interface which will show me the logs of communication between the interface and the engine, so that I can see any error messages on the crash? I can't reproduce the bug without using the interface, typing commands directly never seems to crash it.
Inbetween:
http://komodochess.com/remote-engine.htm
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Besides using inbetween, you can also use Arena and turn debug logs on. It will record the entire uci conversation
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
kdelwat

Post by kdelwat »

Arena is perfect, thanks so much! :D