Start Your Engines

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rebel

Start Your Engines

Post by Rebel »

Start Your Engines is a fun game and competition to explore and solve very hard positions. Each week 4 of such positions are presented on this page and the goal is to find the right moves and to contribute the moves in the below entry form.

For each correct answer you get one point and at the end of the week solutions are given and the ranking is updated.

Pick yourself a nickname (or use your real name), a valid email address for verification purposes only in case of doubt and start enjoying the beauty of chess. To get the position click on the c8 square, the script will show you the PGN | EPD | FEN. Consulting databases is allowed, just find the right moves..

http://rebel13.nl/rebel13/hard.html
Ovyron

Re: Start Your Engines

Post by Ovyron »

Okay, this seems right up my alley, if you see some Uly participating it's me trying to crack the positions.

Thanks for creating such a concept.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Rebel wrote: Consulting databases is allowed, just find the right moves..
It seems that Google suffices to solve the first four. The search engine, not AlphaZero. But it will be fun to see which ones engines can solve. Cfish has the first one as Mate-in-20 at the moment.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Rebel wrote:...
Pick yourself a nickname (or use your real name), a valid email address for verification purposes only in case of doubt and start enjoying the beauty of chess.
Done ! Memory serves well for this first 4 :-)
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

I'm afraid you will have to come up with harder positions - much harder. :shock:
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

MikeB wrote:I'm afraid you will have to come up with harder positions - much harder. :shock:
Really? :wink:

You had the first one wrong, see the page, yet 75% is not a bad start at all.

But okay, your wish is my command, will post 4 real hard ones in week 2.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Ovyron wrote:Okay, this seems right up my alley, if you see some Uly participating it's me trying to crack the positions.

Thanks for creating such a concept.
To Uly or not to Uly, that's the question, but so far it is the latter :wink:
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Too familiar positions. I know instantly solution to all - no sense to use CPU time. Maybe sign, that You have been a lot in talkchess :lol: .
Jouni
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

MikeB wrote:I'm afraid you will have to come up with harder positions - much harder. :shock:
Given time SF-McB should show a mate for the first one. Cfish has it as Mate-in-19 at the moment.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Rebel wrote:
Really? :wink:

You had the first one wrong, see the page, yet 75% is not a bad start at all.

But okay, your wish is my command, will post 4 real hard ones in week 2.
It was late and I didn’t think I would have to find the shortest mate. 😳 I was never a big fan of those type of problems. 🤔