Questions about the DGT Chessboard

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tsmiller1

Questions about the DGT Chessboard

Post by tsmiller1 »

I have some questions I think some of you are in a good position to answer. First of all, let me say that I love Dedicated Chess Computers, but I also love the other world of chess engines, chess software, really any AI that plays chess. I already have a Novag Citrine, which I love because it has its own engine, but I can also use it to play against other engines via Arena on my computer.

Lately I've been champing at the bit to get one of those beautiful DGT chessboards. Are there any advantages of having one versus the Novag Citrine, other than the bigger and nicer board and pieces, and also maybe a more stable interface (sometimes the Citrine can be a little wonky with the move transmission)?

And then, if I DO decide to buy a DGT board, are there advantages to buying the Bluetooth model over the USB model, which is $100-$200 cheaper? For example, with the Bluetooth model, I'm assuming I could additionally play against engines running on my Android tablets or smartphone, whereas maybe I can't if I have the USB model?

Lastly, if I CAN use my tablet or smartphone with the DGT board, is there an advantage of getting something like the DGT Pi, which currently hosts 8 different engines, and is also a nice chess clock?

I don't really play people online anymore, although I can't rule out that I ever will. Most of what I do is just playing computer vs computer matches.

Thanks in advance for any advice. This forum is so great!
LocutusOfPenguin
Full name: Jürgen Précour

Re: Questions about the DGT Chessboard

Post by LocutusOfPenguin »

Hi Tracy,

first...i can only answer part of your questions. But i think, y gonna get more experienced answers lateron ;-)

With the DGT board, y can connect to fritz, chessbase, other software incl. for example "acid ape chess" (android) to play against computer, db-stuff, or online. Its advantage is for sure the piece recognition in contrast to a novag Citrine. I also use acid (sometimes), but i think y need a BT board (might now also work with usb)... and this software getting alot better in past - for example now also allows takeback.
DGT board disadvantage is the (higher) price, and some people missing the leds on squares.

It always depends. I have a BT board, and i would buy it again...but my reason is the cable not laying around. I use a DGT3000/Pi mainly.
I prefer wood, but from technical reasons the newest smart boards (sadly only with usb right now) have alot better interface and quicker recognize speed plus cheaper - that could be an alternative if plastic is ok too.

I use DGT3000/Pi mainly cause i develop the software for it. So, im biased!
You can install as much engines as y want. This 8 engines are only in standard, cause its a good overview of all levels, and they support the whole uci command set. Esp this is a big problem for alot of engines. Also since PI is made for humans to play against, its useless to install >10,... engines in the >2500 area. But as i said, its possible to install your favourite ones on it.

For me, this combination of dgtboard & pi / 3000 is what comes nearest to a dedicated chess computer - therefore i develop for it - but dont trust my words only ;-)
Create a dedicated chess computer based on tiny ARM computers with the DGT e-board on picochess.com
tsmiller1

Re: Questions about the DGT Chessboard

Post by tsmiller1 »

Thanks for all the great info!