ChessUSA.com TalkChess.com
Hosted by Your Move Chess & Games

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gigatron emulation
Post new topic    TalkChess.com Forum Index -> Computer Chess Club: Programming and Technical Discussions Flat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H.G.Muller

PostPost subject: Re: Gigatron emulation    Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:29 pm Reply to topic Reply with quote

The palette is such that each pair of consecutive bits specifies a primary color, at 0, 33%, 67% or 100% intensity. The two lowest bits are for red. (And I suppose the next two bits green, but I ever actually verivied that with Marcel.) There are simply resistors R and 2R conecting the output bits with the VGA pin for that color, to make a 2-bit DAC.

The sound comes from the XOUT port, which is clocked by a SYNC bit of the OUT port. For the rest I think it is purely a software matter; the interpreter would send new output to XOUT every HSYNC pulse (so at 31kHz). I have no idea how it decides what to send.

The input is complex. It seems to be a shift register, clocked by the HSYNC output of the video OUT port. It seems that game controllers are such serial devices, and need to receive a parallel-load signal to get their button states in their shift register. This parallel-load signal is sent to them from the VSYNC pulse. So 8 scan lines after the (end of?) VSYNC the full button info would be readable from IN. No idea how the bits are assigned to buttons.
Subject Author Date/Time
Gigatron emulation Martin Sedlak Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:54 pm
      Re: Gigatron emulation H.G.Muller Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:29 pm
            Re: Gigatron emulation Martin Sedlak Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:08 pm
                  Re: Gigatron emulation H.G.Muller Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:37 pm
      Re: Gigatron emulation Martin Sedlak Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:22 pm
            Re: Gigatron emulation Martin Sedlak Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:57 pm
            Re: Gigatron emulation Martin Sedlak Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:46 pm
      Re: Gigatron emulation Rémi Coulom Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:30 pm
            Re: Gigatron emulation Martin Sedlak Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:50 pm
                  Re: Gigatron emulation H.G.Muller Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:03 pm
                        Re: Gigatron emulation Martin Sedlak Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:10 pm
                              Re: Gigatron emulation H.G.Muller Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:35 pm
Post new topic    TalkChess.com Forum Index -> Computer Chess Club: Programming and Technical Discussions

Jump to: