Chess for Android v5.3

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Re: Chess for Android v5.3

Post by Ras »

abik wrote:Yes, that is a bit too vague :-)
I myself only have a trusty old Nokia (but it runs Shredder!), so I don't quite know what "going out of an application and back again" might actually mean. Probably changing to another application and later back to the chess application. If you can do that with a Winboard engine (both when it's the user's turn and when the engine is thinking), and you still can play afterwards, then I guess the problem was on my side.
Please make sure the engine is compiled properly for whatever Android version you are using
I did, with API level 16 and PIE: http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 33&t=64553 Funnily enough, the UCI version doesn't show problems although it's also using threading, which the Winboard version didn't.

Oh, one more for adjudication, judging by tablebases for endgames is also an option if there is enough storage.
hagtorp

Post by hagtorp »

abik wrote:
hagtorp wrote:I already wrote about this on the e-mail of Aart Bik, he said that the award is a good idea, but never did it.
I have a very, very long list of feature requests and I although am really motivated to make everyone happy, finding the spare time to make it so is not always easy.....

For my own understanding on proper GUI adjudication, I assume that the "draw" settings of movenumber=35, movecount=5, score=5cp mean that if after move 35 we have 5 consecutive moves where the score is below 5cp, the GUI can adjudicate this as a draw? Do GUI's use their own evaluation for this, or should both engines that are playing agree on the score? I can see issues with either model, so some insights on this would be appreciated.
I think the decision should be made on the evaluation of the engine with a lower score in the position won and in the losing position on a more optimistic assessment.
abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik »

hagtorp wrote:Hi. The application is excellent, but there is not enough win function (like Cute Chess for PC).
I am getting excited about adding new features to Chess for Android again! Below you can see a first draft of a new tournament setup window, scheduled to replace the successive dialogs of the past.

So, this would be a good time to send me your other feature requests too! :D

hagtorp

Post by hagtorp »

It's also good to make out of the external pgn book of debuts you could play a fixed number of parts (200,500). Also, to award it is good to add an option, if the engines show a rating close to 0 (+0.08) for example 8 half-way (optional), then the shell would award draw.
And add control for 2 seconds on the move, it's necessary.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

@Aart Bik please consider adding hourglass time control.

Much appreciated for looking upon adjudication settings :)
hagtorp

Post by hagtorp »

Nordlandia wrote:@Aart Bik please consider adding hourglass time control.

Much appreciated for looking upon adjudication settings :)
Yes, it will be excellent! But it would be nice, as I wrote above, there was an option to select the number of batches from the external pgn of the book (for example 100,200,500) For testing this is very important.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

I'd like to see "adjust engine setting" button without having to reset engine settings every time.
abik

Post by abik »

Nordlandia wrote:I'd like to see "adjust engine setting" button without having to reset engine settings every time.
What would be the work flow for this?
abik

Post by abik »

Based on some initial feedback (I am not going to implement all requested features), this is my next draft tournament setup window.
It shows the current time control in the title for convenience, and allows setting the tournament format, draw and resign adjudication, and some options.
I also added the 2 seconds per move time control by popular demand.

Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

I'd suggest to add in some graphical dividers. The whole thing is divided in columns, but these don't have anything to do with each other, partially. I guess some sort of dividing element would be good between the round robin / gauntlet selection and the adjudication stuff, and also after the adjudication stuff before the rest of the options. Maybe some kind of thin grey line or so.