Engines for testing (Linux, fast time control)

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeB

Re: Engines for testing (Linux, fast time control)

Post by MikeB »

jdart wrote:I have been using a few engines in the ballpark of Arasan in terms of rating, for testing my engine.

Periodically I revise the list as Arasan gets stronger, and as new engines appear.

I am only interested in Linux, because I moved most of my development to that years ago. I have only one Windows machine.

Also, I can only use engines that are stable at fast time controls, in particular ones that don't crash or hang, and don't lose on time.

It is getting so that is a fairly short list.

Ones I currently use include:

- Texel
- Stockfish (I use 2.2 but all the versions I have tried behave ok)
- Senpai (2.0, have used 1.0 previously)
- Crafty 25.2

I have previously used Toga 3 and Fruit 2.3.1, but those are a bit too weak for me now: they were nice and stable though.

Ones I have tried recently include:

- Pedone - loses on time pretty often. I reported this to the author but it has not been fixed.
- Laser - really didn't work on Linux, games terminate early under cutechess
- Nemorino - v 3 source release didn't compile, dev version does compile but looks like it tries to allocate >1 thread even when Threads option set to 1. Then it dies with a bunch of memory errors.
- Komodo 3 - this works
- Andscacs 0912 - distributed Linux binary does not work on my system. Also doesn't seem to compile on Linux with supplied Makefile.

All these were tested at 0:10+0.1 time control, single threaded, with cutechess-cli.

--Jon
Andscacs should be an excellent opponent for Arasan

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8dgxi4mgvpr28 ... l.zip?dl=1

This has a custom makefile used for macOS ( unix based) - only tested under clang-v5.0

simply type "make cpro" at the command line - will compile a pgo version - you can comment or uncomment the bmi2 flags if you wish.
jdart

Post by jdart »

It still doesn't work with g++. I am sure I can fix it but I have limited patience with this stuff.

Recent clang versions are ridiculously hard to install on Linux. They have not bothered to get a proper install into the repositories, with the necessary dependencies.

--Jon
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Ethereal may be too far below your engine, but I've never seen Ethereal lose on time on linux. Although the lowest TC I've played is 1+.01s

Maybe give me a few months? :)
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Besides those you mentioned, I have built these on Ubuntu:
Gull
Asmfish (you can get pre-built ones or build your own)
Protector

For professional engines, Shredder is nice on Linux

All of the above scale nicely with cores
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Dann, I'd be curious to know how you compiled Protector.

My compile failed, log here http://termbin.com/ril5
pferd

Post by pferd »

Did you uncomment the Linux64 target at the beginning of the Makefile? That did the trick for me
Colin-G

Post by Colin-G »

Jesse Gersenson wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:32 am Dann, I'd be curious to know how you compiled Protector.

My compile failed, log here http://termbin.com/ril5
I still use Protector 1.8
I can't remember if I had trouble compiling version 1.9, or did not find it significantly better than version 1.8
In my notes from October 2015, I see that I had to remove "-ansi-pedantic" from the CFLAGS in the Makefile in order to compile my linux version of 1.8 without errors.
Sesse

Post by Sesse »

Have you tried Rybka? Should probably be in the right range, and the “microwine” layer I made for it at some point makes it appear mostly as a native engine.