Computer vs computer chess soon to an end?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Lion

Computer vs computer chess soon to an end?

Post by Lion »

Hello all,

A little provocative title I agree but there are open questions.

I recently upgraded my hardware to an AMD Threadripper 1950x.

After over 580 blitz games on playchess computer room using ASMFishW, my computer didn't lost a single game.
Did it win many ? no.... about only 10% of the games were won.

So what does that mean ?
In 10 Years by now, probably most people will have more powerful hardware. With a little properly tuned book, the results will likely be very close to nobody looses any games.....

rgds
CheckersGuy

Re: Computer vs computer chess soon to an end?

Post by CheckersGuy »

Lion wrote:Hello all,

A little provocative title I agree but there are open questions.

I recently upgraded my hardware to an AMD Threadripper 1950x.

After over 580 blitz games on playchess computer room using ASMFishW, my computer didn't lost a single game.
Did it win many ? no.... about only 10% of the games were won.

So what does that mean ?
In 10 Years by now, probably most people will have more powerful hardware. With a little properly tuned book, the results will likely be very close to nobody looses any games.....

rgds
The draw rates in computer chess have been pretty high for quite some time so I am not really sure what you are getting at. With better procesesors in the (near) future the draw rates will likely go up.
Furthermore, the error bar for (only) 580 games is too high.
Lion

Post by Lion »

haven't lost a single game out of 580.....
Soon other will arrive to a same result with properly tuned book and good hardware.

What will be the point of computer vs computer ? See that nearly everything draws?

rgds
CheckersGuy

Post by CheckersGuy »

Lion wrote:haven't lost a single game out of 580.....
Soon other will arrive to a same result with properly tuned book and good hardware.

What will be the point of computer vs computer ? See that nearly everything draws?

rgds
The point of computer vs computer chess would still be the same. Finding out which engine is the strongest. It just requires more games than to find that out.
Last edited by CheckersGuy on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

rgds
There never was any point to it anyway. Playing on a server isn't the controlled environment you would need to draw any useful conclusions from the result. Playing from the normal start position isn't a good way to test strength of strong engines.

There are lots of ways to have computers against each other that produce interesting new insights. Playing in the PlayChess engine room never was one of them.
Lion

Post by Lion »

Well, I have to disagree with you.

Playchess Engine room has IMHO be a place for opening novelties & new opening trends that we today see top elite OTB players now replicate what was done in that room few Years ago. (I.e. London opening system and many others)

But the more we progress, the more we see that there are more and more ways to = to a point where it is soon no longer interesting and mostly exhausted.

rgds
Evert

Post by Evert »

Provocative question to provocative title: what is the point of running someone else's engine using your personal account in a public arena?

Running someone else's engines in a tournament, I understand.
Running your own engine in an on-line environment against other engines (or humans), I understand.
Being person 318182319 running some off-brand Stockfish in an on-line environment against other engines I don't get. What do you get out of it?

Anyway, the answer to your question is: that depends on what you want to get out of it. Computer chess, in a sense, has been dead since personal computers overtook human grand masters.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Lion wrote:Well, I have to disagree with you.

Playchess Engine room has IMHO be a place for opening novelties & new opening trends that we today see top elite OTB players now replicate what was done in that room few Years ago. (I.e. London opening system and many others)

But the more we progress, the more we see that there are more and more ways to = to a point where it is soon no longer interesting and mostly exhausted.

rgds
The best way to judge an opening novelty is by using engines that are weak eough to have an appreciable chance to leave the draw sector in either direction. Not by using strong engines that still can maintain the draw no matter how close they start to the edge of the draw sector.

The whole idea is flawed from the start.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Seems like engine vs engine is more interesting than computer vs computer..
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

rgds

Because every victory is that much more satisfying. And engines still can lose. Won over 50+ games on chessbase in like a week.