TCEC Season 10 announced

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henk

Re: TCEC Season 10 announced

Post by Henk »

Showing multiple games simultaneously is another option.
CheckersGuy

Post by CheckersGuy »

Henk wrote:Showing multiple games simultaneously is another option.
I think the hardware is already quite expensive and running multiple games simultaneously would either mean that they need to aquire a better server or split the cores. For TCEC I want more performance than my own desktop pc would deliver :P
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

This is great news. Enough time has gone by for engines to have improved.

"The TCEC championship will feature a similar team as the previous seasons with A. Mihailov as tournament director, M. Thoresen as administrator."

I give them a lot of credit. Some of us thought the TCEC was out of business. I hope they keep that ARB guy out of the chat. If they are reading these posts, I didn't watch any blitz games last time. I liked the long time control high quality games on great hardware. I wish they could institute pondering.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
leavenfish

Post by leavenfish »

Mostly, doesn't this just serve to have programmers maximize use of a lot of cores?

I mean, an engine using 4 cores vs a bunch...there should ideally be no difference between the outcome of a tournament.

I must say, I do hope they limit the number of engines a bit and shorten the time controls a tad....too easy for viewers to lose interest.

Saying that...this is still the true World Championship...we all know it is. :D
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

pohl4711 wrote:Just on facebook:

TCEC Season 10 is coming soon Expect a press release and full information on Chessdom.com next week
I'm sorry, this is just not good enough!!!
Why did it take so long and we knew nothing all this time if anything was being done to prepare it?
Henk

Post by Henk »

CheckersGuy wrote:
Henk wrote:Showing multiple games simultaneously is another option.
I think the hardware is already quite expensive and running multiple games simultaneously would either mean that they need to aquire a better server or split the cores. For TCEC I want more performance than my own desktop pc would deliver :P
Difference is not only the hardware but also making it possible that many viewers can watch live games played by engines. Of course that can be a disadvantage if you don't want to have anything to do with these other viewers. If hardware is not important and other viewers a burden just download latest versions of engines and create a tournament yourself.
Although downloading and installing engines cost you extra time and your computer gets very busy.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Henk wrote:Time control 30 minutes more than enough for these games. Unless they want more viewers getting bored.
Totally agree, and I stopped watching TCEC because the time control was too long. Way too long.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

IIRC ChessWar always used 30-min games. That was very enjoyable.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Modern Times wrote:
Henk wrote:Time control 30 minutes more than enough for these games. Unless they want more viewers getting bored.
Totally agree, and I stopped watching TCEC because the time control was too long. Way too long.
+1

Watching TCEC games live is like watching paint dry, or trees grow... Not everyone can afford to bum around all day looking at their screen. Some of us have work to go to, lives to attend to. Game lasting 8h is just ridiculous.

That, and the >90% draw rate. Unless you think it's funny to play games with voluntarily bogus book lines that give white a winning advantage. This was the new Cato strategy in S9 to reduce the draw rate: pathetic... And S10 is getting even worse. Book lines are getting longer instead of shorter...

What we really need is a Chess960 tournament with 1 move book, and 30min games. That's much more fun to watch. Fortunately you don't need TCEC for that, and anyone can organize it on their own computer.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

lucasart wrote:
Modern Times wrote:
+1

Watching TCEC games live is like watching paint dry, or trees grow... Not everyone can afford to bum around all day looking at their screen. Some of us have work to go to, lives to attend to. Game lasting 8h is just ridiculous.

That, and the >90% draw rate. Unless you think it's funny to play games with voluntarily bogus book lines that give white a winning advantage. This was the new Cato strategy in S9 to reduce the draw rate: pathetic... And S10 is getting even worse. Book lines are getting longer instead of shorter...

What we really need is a Chess960 tournament with 1 move book, and 30min games. That's much more fun to watch. Fortunately you don't need TCEC for that, and anyone can organize it on their own computer.
you are basically right, but then people will say: 'SF is the new rapid TCEC champion'.

not very appealing, is it?

I guess LTC games are always worth the effort, they are certainly higher quality.

I almost never watch live, but games could be browsed later, of course.