Can Komodo give knight odds in standard chess to a master?

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How will Komodo score against FM Gilden?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:51 pm

0 out of 3.
No votes
0.5 out of 3.
No votes
1 out of 3.
20%
1.5 out of 3.
30%
2 out of 3.
30%
2.5 out of 3.
20%
3 out of 3.
No votes

Total votes: 10

lkaufman

Can Komodo give knight odds in standard chess to a master?

Post by lkaufman »

Two years ago, Komodo was soundly trounced in three separate knight-odds matches totaling 12 games by players whose average strength was around 2240 USCF or 2140 FIDE (the scales are roughly 100 apart). In each match Komodo scored just 25%, for an overall performance of around 2050 USCF or 1950 FIDE. Time limit was 45 min plus 15 sec increment.
Well, we're going to try again! This time the opponent will be FM Larry Gilden, 2249 USCF, 2114 FIDE. Although he is 74 years old, he is a very active player so his ratings are quite accurate. He is the top rated American born in 1942 or earlier who plays regularly in standard (non-rapid) chess tournaments as well as rapid events. He was rated number 12 overall in the U.S. half a century ago. We played one match with him about a year ago but the handicaps were much smaller than knight odds (two games with Black king starting on e5 and d5, one with White starting with six moves, and one at two pawns and White handicap), and he only managed one draw. But with knight odds I think he is looking forward to winning some easy money.
The match is scheduled for July 25, three games at about noon, 3 pm, and 6 pm Eastern Daylight Time, with the games to be broadcast from our website (details of the broadcast will be posted later). Komodo is White in each game, removing either knight each game (the first two games alternating the knight, the third I'll choose at gametime). Historically it was more common to remove the b1 knight, but Komodo has a slight preference for removing the g1 knight. Usual time limit (45' + 15").
Just a few weeks ago, FM John Meyer lost with knight odds by a shocking 4 to 0 playing chess960, but this is much harder for the human than standard chess due to unfamiliarity with the initial positions. Also Gilden is rated about 40 elo above Meyer and is far more active. According to our math wiz Kai, only 25 to 30% of Komodo's rating gains over the past two years should apply to knight-odds matches, which sounds right because it is mostly the strength of the odds receiver that determines the result. So based on this, Gilden should win by 2 to 1, presumably two draws and one win. That sounds right to me, but I am hoping for an even score, as it would really be remarkable if Komodo could indeed give a chess master knight odds successfully.
Komodo rules!
lkaufman

Re: Can Komodo give knight odds in standard chess to a maste

Post by lkaufman »

Based on playing Komodo myself in rapid games with knight odds, it seems that the choice of defense is critical. Some defenses allow me to win rather easily, others do not. So the results may depend on his opening choices.
Komodo rules!
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

So you re still winning against Komodo in rapid , even your last dev version ?
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

JJJ wrote:So you re still winning against Komodo in rapid , even your last dev version ?
Well, I won my last two rapid games but only after I figured out which defenses work best at knight odds. Perhaps by trying other Contempt values I can make Komodo give me a better fight even with these defenses. Also keep in mind that I am rated about 140 elo above Larry Gilden, and of course I know a lot more about how to play against computers. I've thought about playing an "official" handicap match with Komodo myself, but I'm a bit concerned that people might accuse me of throwing the match or at least of not trying my hardest, and I can't deny that I would have mixed emotions.
Komodo rules!
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

lkaufman wrote:I've thought about playing an "official" handicap match with Komodo myself, but I'm a bit concerned that people might accuse me of throwing the match or at least of not trying my hardest, and I can't deny that I would have mixed emotions.
or maybe of Komodo throwing the match to you :)
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

I was thinking about you playing against Komodo as well.
Master vs machine in handicap match. Would be fun.

So okey, you can win sometimes against Knight and sometimes you might loose. This means you have the time to look for a better contempt against human.

I d go for 1,5/3 for both side.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Komodo rules!
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

transmission unavailable, only reason I can think of is Gilden has gained huge advantage against Komodo, so they don't want to transmit.
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:transmission unavailable, only reason I can think of is Gilden has gained huge advantage against Komodo, so they don't want to transmit.
We are many to watch right now.
duncan

Post by duncan »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:transmission unavailable, only reason I can think of is Gilden has gained huge advantage against Komodo, so they don't want to transmit.
you can be quite cynical