Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Cre

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Uri wrote:
Milos wrote:Lol, congratz man, you are really the king of trolls. :lol: :lol: :lol:
And you are the king of idiots.

Seriously, why are you guys so hostile?
Chess guys are awkward nerds...

Computer guys are awkward nerds...

Did you expect computer chess guys to be charming and eloquent gentleman? :lol:

Don't worry, I too made the mistake of expecting politeness once.
Uri

Post by Uri »

I think I'm leaving chess.

The chances that I will become a Grandmaster (2500 FIDE) or even a Master (2300 FIDE) is very very low.

I'm not a good player and chess requires certain talents that I just don't have.

I won't be surprised to find out if the best chess players (like Kasparov, Karpov, Tigran Petrosian, Botvinnik, Vassily Smyslov, Mikhail Tal, Boris Spassky for example) have very very high IQ.

Chess is such a difficult game that it's impossible to become a Master if you don't have a very very good memory.

Chess requires very good memory because you need to be able to memorize many tactical variations and you also need to remember many strategical and static positional principles.

Chess is not just tactics it's also strategy and you need to be good in both if you are to become a Master.
BrendanJNorman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Uri wrote:I think I'm leaving chess.

The chances that I will become a Grandmaster (2500 FIDE) or even a Master (2300 FIDE) is very very low.

I'm not a good player and chess requires certain talents that I just don't have.

I won't be surprised to find out if the best chess players (like Kasparov, Karpov, Tigran Petrosian, Botvinnik, Vassily Smyslov, Mikhail Tal, Boris Spassky for example) have very very high IQ.

Chess is such a difficult game that it's impossible to become a Master if you don't have a very very good memory.

Chess requires very good memory because you need to be able to memorize many tactical variations and you also need to remember many strategical and static positional principles.

Chess is not just tactics it's also strategy and you need to be good in both if you are to become a Master.
The secret to becoming a top player is starting as early as possible.

Once I was chatting with trainer IM Tibor Karolyi (trainer of the Polgars and Leko) and he told me that if somebody isn't 2500 in their teens, their chance of becoming "world class" is almost zero.

He also told me that to become a GM you MUST start younger than 8 years old - so that chess is your "mother tongue" and deep tactics/calculation comes naturally in adulthood.

Of course there are outliers, but these were his "rules" - it's a shame.

He told me once "You have a natural feel for the harmony of the pieces. If you started at 8 years old (instead of 15) you could have been world class"

It sucks, but it is what it is. A beautiful board game.
MahmoudUthman

Post by MahmoudUthman »

Uri wrote: I won't be surprised to find out if the best chess players (like Kasparov, Karpov, Tigran Petrosian, Botvinnik, Vassily Smyslov, Mikhail Tal, Boris Spassky for example) have very very high IQ.
As far as I know most "if not all" studies indicate otherwise.
BrendanJNorman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

MahmoudUthman wrote:
Uri wrote: I won't be surprised to find out if the best chess players (like Kasparov, Karpov, Tigran Petrosian, Botvinnik, Vassily Smyslov, Mikhail Tal, Boris Spassky for example) have very very high IQ.
As far as I know most "if not all" studies indicate otherwise.
Could you cite one of these studies? Sounds interesting.
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

... chess players tend to perform better than non-chess players on measures of cognitive ability.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 9616301635

Of course that's far from saying that (all) the best chess players have very, very high IQ.
Marek Soszynski
duncan

Post by duncan »

Uri wrote:
Milos wrote:Lol, congratz man, you are really the king of trolls. :lol: :lol: :lol:
And you are the king of idiots.

Seriously, why are you guys so hostile?
milos has a sharp tongue. ignore him
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Uri wrote:Modern desktop computers are probably not fast enough and have not enough memory to truly surpass human world champion chess capability.

My computer for example only uses 6 physical cores and only 8 Gigs of RAM. I believe that's not enough to truly surpass the world champion.

However I believe that in the future computers will be fast enough and have enough memory to truly surpass world champion.
The top players of the world haven't been able to compete with the top programs\computers for quite awhile now. They always demand that the program be handicapped is some fashion because they can't compete on even terms.
Uri

Post by Uri »

BrendanJNorman wrote:He also told me that to become a GM you MUST start younger than 8 years old - so that chess is your "mother tongue" and deep tactics/calculation comes naturally in adulthood.

Of course there are outliers, but these were his "rules" - it's a shame.

He told me once "You have a natural feel for the harmony of the pieces. If you started at 8 years old (instead of 15) you could have been world class"

It sucks, but it is what it is. A beautiful board game.
Chess is not just tactics and calculation though, it's also strategy and this is what makes this game very difficult for me at least.

In Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition (which is the latest Chessmaster program) I can beat Cassie (she is rated 23) every time but this only because she offeres me her pieces or leaves most of her pieces undefended.

I'm still convinced that to be good at chess you need to be a very intelligent person.

And that's like anything in life. Intelligent people are more successful in life because they can become top computer programmers or top software engineers or top electronics engineers or even top theoretical/mathematical physicists.
Uri

Post by Uri »

I think I am kind of depressed over the fact that I am not a good chess player.

At least I can't stop obsessing over the fact that I will never become a chess champion.

None of my dreams in life ever came true.

When I was young I wanted to be a successful mathematical/theoretical physicist but I also kind of failed to become one and now I'm depressed about all of my failures in life.

Now I failed in chess too so another dream of mine was ruined.

At times I also think about killing myself because all of my failures and losses in life.