iPad Pro 2 12.9 512 GB:)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeB

Re: iPad Pro 2 12.9 512 GB:)

Post by MikeB »

h1a8 wrote:
mar wrote:
Hai wrote:If you can get some guys to create asmfish for ios, maybe Ted Wong, then the iPad Pro will be as strong as the i7-4700mq @2.4 Ghz 5.492 kn/s or even slightly stronger.
AsmFish is x64 assembly, your iPad pro is ARMv8 (64-bit).
Those are totally unrealated, my guess is the amount of work needed would be about the same as porting SF to 64-bit ARM assembly from scratch.

I understand that you're excited about your new toy, but this thread shows that
you've clearly no idea what you're talking about :)
Well Cfish is for Android and it gives a much higher kn/s than stockfish.
So it's possible.

I really use komodo exclusively. I pray the komodo team can build an engine for ios. I rather use komodo on the stockfish app than stockfish.
Cfish is possible - AsmFish much less so. But how about just the current version of Stockfish in the Stockfish app? I think it's v2.1.3 from quite a few years ago.
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

MikeB wrote:
h1a8 wrote:
mar wrote:
Hai wrote:If you can get some guys to create asmfish for ios, maybe Ted Wong, then the iPad Pro will be as strong as the i7-4700mq @2.4 Ghz 5.492 kn/s or even slightly stronger.
Those are totally unrealated, my guess is the amount of work needed would be about the same as porting SF to 64-bit ARM assembly from scratch.

So it's possible.

I really use komodo exclusively. I pray the komodo team can build an engine for ios. I rather use komodo on the stockfish app than stockfish.
Cfish is possible - AsmFish much less so. But how about just the current version of Stockfish in the Stockfish app? I think it's v2.1.3 from quite a few years ago.
You right.
I didn't know stockfish wasn't updated for ios. So only droidfish for Android is updated? I use both.

So what app for ios uses a more current iteration of stockfish?
That's why we desperately need komodo for ios.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

h1a8 wrote:
MikeB wrote:
h1a8 wrote:
mar wrote:

So it's possible.

You right.
I didn't know stockfish wasn't updated for ios. So only droidfish for Android is updated? I use both.

Smallfish Chess by Ted Wong. A nice app, my only complaint is that it does show nps - nodes searched and nps are critical in assessing the quality of analysis so the user is left to guess. It gives you depth, which is also important but users are used to seeing nps and they mentally say ok , I need to think it twice as long as on my pc because the nps 1/2 of the pc - or whatever. Whenever an engine does not show nps, it is lacking. So I end up using the old stockfish app more often than not.
Hai

Post by Hai »

mar wrote:
Maybe this could help:
http://www.ethernut.de/en/documents/arm-inline-asm.html
Hai

Post by Hai »

MikeB wrote:
h1a8 wrote:
MikeB wrote:
h1a8 wrote:
mar wrote:

So it's possible.

You right.

Smallfish Chess by Ted Wong. A nice app, my only complaint is that it does show nps - nodes searched and nps are critical in assessing the quality of analysis so the user is left to guess. It gives you depth, which is also important but users are used to seeing nps and they mentally say ok , I need to think it twice as long as on my pc because the nps 1/2 of the pc - or whatever. Whenever an engine does not show nps, it is lacking. So I end up using the old stockfish app more often than not.
So is it possible to use Cfish for iOS?
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

MikeB wrote: my only complaint is that it does show nps - nodes searched and nps are critical in assessing the quality of analysis so the user is left to guess. It gives you depth, which is also important but users are used to seeing nps and they mentally say ok , I need to think it twice as long as on my pc because the nps 1/2 of the pc - or whatever. Whenever an engine does not show nps, it is lacking. So I end up using the old stockfish app more often than not.
100% agree with this. It's good Ted Wong is developing a Stockfish app, but the app is crippled by the lack of a nps counter.
Hai

Post by Hai »

Because I tested it with Stockfish "Tord Romstad app", you should know.
Last update was 29.10.2014!!! = 3 years ago
so I think it was an old Stockfish and not the super fast Stockfish 8 or a current development version, which should be much faster than only 4300 kn/s.
Lion

Post by Lion »

I think that SmallFish is from a much more recent version of Stockfish... maybe version 8 ?!

That been said I wish we would have a new Stockfish as I much prefer its interface.
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Lion wrote:I think that SmallFish is from a much more recent version of Stockfish... maybe version 8 ?!

That been said I wish we would have a new Stockfish as I much prefer its interface.
Yes it's nice!
I wish we have a way to purchase and import komodo into the stockfish app. We can with Droidfish.
chessmobile

Post by chessmobile »

Hai wrote:Because I tested it with Stockfish "Tord Romstad app", you should know.
Last update was 29.10.2014!!! = 3 years ago
so I think it was an old Stockfish and not the super fast Stockfish 8 or a current development version, which should be much faster than only 4300 kn/s.
There is no reason to suspect that a current version of Stockfish will give a higher n/s than an older version. If more knowledge is imparted to an engine then it is conceivable that a new version could have lower n/s. I know that early forms of dedicated chess computers had this problem.