World #1 Go Player Ke Jie accepts Google Alpha Go Match..

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jeroen

Re: World #1 Go Player Ke Jie accepts Google Alpha Go Match.

Post by Jeroen »

According to your 2nd graph, the likelihood of an AlphaGo win dropped quite sharply between move 120 and 130, so I wouldn't be so sure yet.

We need a deep AlphaGo analysis here, to know if Ke Jie indeed missed some chances around that 130 move phase.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Jeroen wrote:According to your 2nd graph, the likelihood of an AlphaGo win dropped quite sharply between move 120 and 130, so I wouldn't be so sure yet.

We need a deep AlphaGo analysis here, to know if Ke Jie indeed missed some chances around that 130 move phase.
I guess this zigzagging is due to faults in Crazy Stone evaluation. Probably AlphaGo graph for likelihood would be smoother, and almost constantly increasing, but we need to see it. Hope AlphaGo goes commercial with its program.
Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Jeroen wrote:According to your 2nd graph, the likelihood of an AlphaGo win dropped quite sharply between move 120 and 130, so I wouldn't be so sure yet.

Here is the same graph with 8 hour analysis, where Crazy Stone is probably 8 dan on my pretty strong machine. The zigzagging is less accentuated:

The dominance of AlphaGo is thorough, although this game showed a lot of volatility, with 4-8 weak groups competing. Ke Jie wanted to complicate the game, but the ensuing heavy fights were almost all won by Black. Then AlphaGo started to simplify, error margins suddenly started to decrease, and Ke Jie resigned.
Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Just had a look at the names of Team (5 humans) against AlphaGo match and Pair match. Creme de la creme of World's top Go players will participate. Tomorrow will be a very interesting day.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Very interesting game between AlphaGo and the human team.

AlphaGo plays rather fast in all its games sofar, I wonder why it doesn't take more time.
Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Jeroen wrote:Very interesting game between AlphaGo and the human team.

AlphaGo plays rather fast in all its games sofar, I wonder why it doesn't take more time.
Human team by move 100 is already losing pretty heavily. I missed the first part, couldn't sit all the sleepless night and morning watching, I hope I will find SGF on the net to analyze.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Lol, an hour ago the commentators and Ke Jie in the commentary room said white is only slightly ahead :-).

Perhaps Lee Sedol's win last year turns out to be the one and only loss AlphaGo had to suffer against humans in a serious game.
Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Jeroen wrote:Lol, an hour ago the commentators and Ke Jie in the commentary room said white is only slightly ahead :-).

Perhaps Lee Sedol's win last year turns out to be the one and only loss AlphaGo had to suffer against humans in a serious game.
Here is the Crazy Stone analysis in 2 hours (7 dan):

The human team seems to have held AlphaGo for 60 initial moves, but then it crumbles, and by move 100 it's all set. Points advantage went all the way up to 21.5 for AlphaGo, only for it to just maximize the probability.
IanO

Post by IanO »

lkaufman wrote: By a curious coincidence (?) just last week the top Shogi engines defeated the World Champion ("Meijin" to be exact) Sato 2 to 0 in comparably serious games, and they weren't even close; my judgment as an amateur 5 Dan is that the engine could easily give a Lance handicap to any human and expect to win So assuming that the computer wins this Go match, Go will have lasted one week longer than Shogi before having fallen to the computers!
Remarkable! Do you have a link for the shogi result and game records? I've recently become much more interested in the game since a club started up in Portland, and I started programming a PN-search problem solver.