Too much Hash harms?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dirt

Re: Too much Hash harms?

Post by Dirt »

syzygy wrote:The only reason why bigger hash might not gain is that hash is already big enough (for a given test).
No. For an extreme example, hash bigger than main memory will probably hurt.
Deasil is the right way to go.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

mjlef wrote:
Laskos wrote:
The extrapolation curve seems to indicate 32M as the optimum Hash and about 40% Hashfull. Also, too much Hash seems to harm as much as to little Hash (on logarithmic scale).
For years, Komodo has included a file setHash.txt which explains a process for a user to optimize the has sized for a specific machine and time control, and it in fact uses the 40% fill as the goal. Nice to confirm what we have found.

Mark
Very interesting! Did you do testing on that? This 40% seems to be valid for Komodo, Stockfish and Houdini, so it's more general. There was some discussion about the usefulness of the Hash when it is too little, with estimation of say 5% time-to-depth speed-up for doubling Hash, but very few I can find on too much Hash, it even seemed that giving too much Hash wouldn't hurt at all.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Laskos wrote:
mjlef wrote:
Laskos wrote:
The extrapolation curve seems to indicate 32M as the optimum Hash and about 40% Hashfull. Also, too much Hash seems to harm as much as to little Hash (on logarithmic scale).
For years, Komodo has included a file setHash.txt which explains a process for a user to optimize the has sized for a specific machine and time control, and it in fact uses the 40% fill as the goal. Nice to confirm what we have found.

Mark
Very interesting! Did you do testing on that? This 40% seems to be valid for Komodo, Stockfish and Houdini, so it's more general. There was some discussion about the usefulness of the Hash when it is too little, with estimation of say 5% time-to-depth speed-up for doubling Hash, but very few I can find on too much Hash, it even seemed that giving too much Hash wouldn't hurt at all.
The 40% figure dates back to before Mark joined the Komodo team, I think Don did most of the testing to determine this figure. In general at various time limits we have used hash sizes quite in line with the numbers you are coming up with. Back in my Rybka days Vas said that more Hash never hurts until you tax system resources, but that doesn't seem to be supported by the data.
Keep in mind that Komodo uses Hash sizes of 6,12,24,48 etc., not the usual 4,8,16,32 etc., so this can affect results. Since most (or all) testers choose Hash sizes that are a power of 2, we are always at a small disadvantage in those tests, probably just a couple elo or so. I think that our way is better for most users because people usually get a power of 2 of memory, and with our scheme they can leave just 25% for everything other than Hash instead of the usual 50%.
Komodo rules!
flok

Post by flok »

Also:

Code: Select all

Rank Name   Elo    +    - games score oppo. draws 
   1 32       1    6    6  5133   50%    -1   53% 
   2 16       0    6    5  5133   50%     0   53% 
   3 64      -1    6    6  5134   50%     1   52%
So yeah you could say 32MB scores best but the error margin is quite a bit larger :-)
Kohflote

Post by Kohflote »

Hi,
Mark in this thread mentioned that Komodo has included a file setHash.txt which explains a process for a user to optimize the hash size. The following is from setHash.txt:

"1. Take the main time in minutes and add the increment in seconds
2. Multiply the value obtained in step 1 by 3."

Does that mean that 40 moves in 180 minutes, we use 180 x 3 = 540MB for hash size?

Thank you & regards,
Koh, Kah Huat
Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Kohflote wrote:Hi,
Mark in this thread mentioned that Komodo has included a file setHash.txt which explains a process for a user to optimize the hash size. The following is from setHash.txt:

"1. Take the main time in minutes and add the increment in seconds
2. Multiply the value obtained in step 1 by 3."

Does that mean that 40 moves in 180 minutes, we use 180 x 3 = 540MB for hash size?

Thank you & regards,
Koh, Kah Huat
3. From the opening position, do a fixed time search of exactly this amount of time in seconds. (540 seconds in this example)

4. Note the hash table utilization as reported by the GUI.

5. If the hash table utilization is much above 40%, double the hash table size and repeat this test.

//// Be warned that say on 4 cores at this long time control the necessary Hash could be in 12-24GB range, which is probably higher than Hash size you imagine or allowed on your machine. ////
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

From Houdini faq:

If you know the average move time T (in seconds) and the average node speed of
your hardware S (in kN/s), you can compute the optimal hash size with the formula: (T
x S / 100) MB.

That means in my corei5 that optimal for 1,5s/1core is 38MB, but for 60s/4cores already 6GB!
Jouni
flok

Post by flok »

I'm starting to think it doesn't matter after a certain size. For my program that is:

Rank Name       Elo    +    - games score oppo. draws 
   1 dorpsgek   200    3    3 124380   79%   -50    9% 
   2 64MB       -48    5    5 31087   21%   200    9% 
   3 32MB       -48    4    4 31091   21%   200    9% 
   4 16MB       -49    5    5 31098   21%   200    9% 
   5 8MB        -55    4    4 31104   21%   200    9% 
Laskos

Post by Laskos »

flok wrote:I'm starting to think it doesn't matter after a certain size. For my program that is:

Rank Name       Elo    +    - games score oppo. draws 
   1 dorpsgek   200    3    3 124380   79%   -50    9% 
   2 64MB       -48    5    5 31087   21%   200    9% 
   3 32MB       -48    4    4 31091   21%   200    9% 
   4 16MB       -49    5    5 31098   21%   200    9% 
   5 8MB        -55    4    4 31104   21%   200    9% 
Well, the error margins are still large, and the Hash span is not that large, try up to 1GB or so. Also, it's more efficient and easier to check time-to-depth or even NPS for too much hash than games, which are unnecessarily CPU time consuming.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Dirt wrote:
syzygy wrote:The only reason why bigger hash might not gain is that hash is already big enough (for a given test).
No. For an extreme example, hash bigger than main memory will probably hurt.
You removed my statement that it is the nps drop that hurts.

Hash bigger than main memory will lead to a very substantial nps drop and hurts for that reason and only for that reason.

Again: correct for nps drop by looking only at total nodes searched, and any disadvantage of bigger hash disappears. The one and only disadvantage of bigger hash is the nps drop.

Enabling large pages (i.e. make proper use of the hardware) significantly reduces the nps drop.