On-line engine blitz tourney January

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney January

Post by hgm »

It would be nice if you could make all the rpi engines kibitz, however. That cannot be so difficult. What ICS client do you use to run them?
flok

Post by flok »

I use icsdroneng.

I think I need to use -feedbackCommand kibitz for that. The default of that switch is whisper.
flok

Post by flok »

Can't remember if I suggested this already but shall I also run fairymax on an rpi-1 on your server?
If so: please provide an account.

Thanks
Volker Annuss

Post by Volker Annuss »

flok wrote:I use icsdroneng.

I think I need to use -feedbackCommand kibitz for that. The default of that switch is whisper.
I use icsdroneng with -feedbackCommand kibitz too with rpiArminius but the only kibitz from Arminius I see in the logfile is "This is Arminius 2017-01-01". Is it necessary to implement kibitz in the engine?

And I also use icsdroneng with Arminius playing on the 5820K with Ubuntu 16.04 and xboard 4.8.0 as a proxy. When I used xboard 4.7.3 directly it crashed against some engines. There is a thead in the winboard forum about this. I'll try 4.8.0 directly soon.

Edit: not winboard but xboard
flok

Post by flok »

From the icsdroneng code:

Code: Select all

} else if (!appData.engineQuiet && !strncmp(line, "tellics ", 8)) {
      SendToIcs("%s\n", line + 8);
  } else if(!appData.engineQuiet && !strncmp(line,"tellothers ",11)) {
    SendToIcs("whisper %s\n",line+11);
  } else if(!appData.engineQuiet && !strncmp(line,"tellall ",8)) {
    SendToIcs("kibitz %s\n",line+8);
  } else if (!appData.engineQuiet && !strncmp(line, "tellicsnoalias ", 15)) {
    SendToIcs("$%s\n", line + 15);
  } else if (!appData.engineQuiet && (!strncmp(line, "whisp", 5) ||
             !strncmp(line, "kibit", 5) ||
             !strncmp(line, "say", 3) ||
             !strncmp(line, "tell", 4))) {
    SendToIcs("%s\n", line);
So it looks like that you need to use "tellall". I did not find any other occurences of kibitz in the code.
Volker Annuss

Post by Volker Annuss »

After having played some games Arminius vs. various engines with xboard 4.8.0 I also tried playing Arminius vs. rpiArminius. This worked for some moves but then the game was adjourned. Now I cannot resume the match.

**** rpiArminius has arrived - you can't both be logged in. ****
Disconnected from ics.
I think it is OK to prevent two engines from the same IP play against each other, but it worked in your test tournament where mamer started such a match.

Will it be possible to use both machines on saturday? Could you please fix the adjourned game if you want to allow both to play on saturday.
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

Of course Isa will be here
I missed the last tournament and the test tournament lol
Dany
Isa download :
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Volker Annuss wrote:After having played some games Arminius vs. various engines with xboard 4.8.0 I also tried playing Arminius vs. rpiArminius. This worked for some moves but then the game was adjourned. Now I cannot resume the match.

Disconnected from ics.
I think it is OK to prevent two engines from the same IP play against each other, but it worked in your test tournament where mamer started such a match.

Will it be possible to use both machines on saturday? Could you please fix the adjourned game if you want to allow both to play on saturday.
This is strange. In the test tourney last Sunday both participated without problem. I always run 4 engines from the same IP address. (On the same PC even.) Last Sunday I was running seven.

Are you sure you did not accidentally login both under the name rpiArminius? If a registered player logs in while already logged in, the existing login is disconnected.
Volker Annuss

Post by Volker Annuss »

hgm wrote:Are you sure you did not accidentally login both under the name rpiArminius? If a registered player logs in while already logged in, the existing login is disconnected.
Yes, I am sure. I don't remember the password for rpiArminius and that password is not in the scripts on the non rpi Arminius side.

On the other hand something that made it look like 2 rpiArminius connected might have happened. The message

Disconnected from ics.
was on the rpi side when the non rpi Arminius connected.

Whatever that was, it is gone. I was able to finish the adjourned game now.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

Sometimes very strange things happen when running from the same IP.

In the past Bart Goldhoorn often used one of my computers to remotely run his engine on and I remember that on many occasions the players were suddenly switched in the middle of a game and that my engine ended up playing the opponent of Goldbar.

The last 3 tourneys Bart used one of my computers as well and that strange phenomena didn't appear, so I guess the problem is solved or disappeared by itself.