Starting with king safety ?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MahmoudUthman

Starting with king safety ?

Post by MahmoudUthman »

which one is better to start with ? and is it okay to use multiple techniques at the same time for example King Tropism + Attacking King Zone ?

and can someone explain to me SF8 king safety evaluation ? It seems quite different from the one explained at CPW "Attacking King Zone" ?
kbhearn

Re: Starting with king safety ?

Post by kbhearn »

King safety is something that tends to be very different from engine to engine and goes a long way to define the 'personality' of the engine. There is no accepted 'right way'. It can be affected by the structure of the pawn shield, pawn storm, central pawn structure, attacks on squares, xray attacks, pieces in proximity. treating different types of attacking pieces and different attacked squares in different manners also possible. defending pieces are harder to define in a useful way in general.

Two things are common in a modern king safety
1) it's capable of returning a very large bonus for the attacking side
2) it reaches that bonus in a nonlinear manner

You should be able to see a noticeable improvement in intelligence of play with any reasonably implemented king safety approach. Pick a strategy and go. Test it out on a wide variety of typical deep king attack positions to see if it makes sense. Once you have something that passes the eyeball test start strength testing it as well and trying to fix types of attack it underestimates/overestimates.
Henk

Post by Henk »

At this moment I think king safety is very important. Just try out everything related to king safety and find out what works.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Maybe this is a good position to test king safety. I don't think white's position is much worse.

[d] rnb1kbnr/pppp1ppp/8/8/4Pp1q/2N5/PPPPK1PP/R1BQ1BNR b kq - 3 4
zenpawn

Post by zenpawn »

Henk wrote:Maybe this is a good position to test king safety. I don't think white's position is much worse.

[d] rnb1kbnr/pppp1ppp/8/8/4Pp1q/2N5/PPPPK1PP/R1BQ1BNR b kq - 3 4
Stockfish 8 gives -1.47 for white's king safety and evaluates the position in total as -2.93.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

Chess system tal
Says 2.16 and gives

0.89 positional
Tal function 0.70
Major pieces 0.25
Mtrl threads 0.20
11th search on an 800 MHz via CPU
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....