Russian quality

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henk

Russian quality

Post by Henk »

If a side has no open or half open files then rooks are not worth much. In that case wouldn't it be better to decrease value of rooks significantly and increase value of knights. I was even thinking about trading a rook against a knight in closed positions. But of course it is always possible to open a position by trading a knight for two pawns.
cdani

Re: Russian quality

Post by cdani »

I have a little penalization for rooks if there are a lot of pawns. And also I have a little penalization for a knight when there are few pawns. Other than that I have not achieved anything significant.

Most positions tend to open sooner or later, so giving a rook for a knight should have some clear long term compensation.
Henk

Post by Henk »

After trading a rook against a knight a side should keep position closed. Maybe in that case give extra penalty for an open file or a half open file of opponent.
bob

Post by bob »

Henk wrote:After trading a rook against a knight a side should keep position closed. Maybe in that case give extra penalty for an open file or a half open file of opponent.
If you do this right, it will take care of itself. If you give a significant bonus for a rook on an open file, then you would not open files if your opponent has a rook and you do not since only he would get the bonus.

You do NOT want a bunch of terms that interact and interfere with each other, it introduces more bugs than anything. Think about this like a human does and you will get to the right point.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Maybe also add a bonus for knights hopping around 14-16 pawns. For there is a disadvantage if you don't have these knights but your opponent has.

Or maybe dependent on the number of blocked pawns.
bob

Post by bob »

Henk wrote:Maybe also add a bonus for knights hopping around 14-16 pawns. For there is a disadvantage if you don't have these knights but your opponent has.

Or maybe dependent on the number of blocked pawns.
To a human, the "rule" is pretty easy. More pawns favor knights since they block bishops. Fewer pawns favor bishops since they have more scope.

A similar concept for rooks and open files. With multiple open files, it is not so critical. With a single open file, control is essential.
Karlo Bala
Full name: Karlo Balla

Post by Karlo Bala »

Henk wrote:If a side has no open or half open files then rooks are not worth much. In that case wouldn't it be better to decrease value of rooks significantly and increase value of knights. I was even thinking about trading a rook against a knight in closed positions. But of course it is always possible to open a position by trading a knight for two pawns.
I'm rather sure that you know for one of the Rybka "secret", but nevertheless I'm posting the link.

https://www.chess.com/article/view/the- ... ry-kaufman
Best Regards,
Karlo Balla Jr.