It's time to ask again

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Robert Flesher

It's time to ask again

Post by Robert Flesher »

Where is the new Shredder? We have seen that Stephan has a new engine that seems very strong. But also is rumored to be a complete re-write? Perhaps, someone can confirm this?
Steve Maughan

Re: It's time to ask again

Post by Steve Maughan »

I can confirm that Stefan has completely rewritten Shredder. This began in Dec 2014. The version which completed in the 2015 WCCC was the new version. It's based on magic bitboards (previously Shredder was postbox). It has a new multi-threading approach.

I sure Stefan is hoping to do well in the 2016 WCCC and a release will come at some point.

I'm looking forward to it,

Best regards,

Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

Steve Maughan wrote:I can confirm that Stefan has completely rewritten Shredder. This began in Dec 2014. The version which completed in the 2015 WCCC was the new version. It's based on magic bitboards (previously Shredder was postbox). It has a new multi-threading approach.

I sure Stefan is hoping to do well in the 2016 WCCC and a release will come at some point.

I'm looking forward to it,

Best regards,

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve :D
Norbert Raimund Leisner

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

Stefan told me that Shredder 13 will probably be released in July. Existing customers of v12 will obtain a 20% discount of the selling price.

Norbert
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Re: It's time to ask again (for SHREDDER13)

Post by Paloma »

Norbert Raimund Leisner wrote:Stefan told me that Shredder 13 will probably be released in July. Existing customers of v12 will obtain a 20% discount of the selling price.

Norbert
Hmm ...
July is gone ...

has anyone here news about the release date (-months -years) of shredder 13 ?

I have several days ago E-mailed SMK, but so far no responce. :shock:

would be nice when it's done this month's

last release seven years ago
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

I wonder what changes he has made to the GUI ? That interests me more than the engine itself actually. Would be good if he had an option to buy the GUI only at a reasonable price.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Modern Times wrote:I wonder what changes he has made to the GUI ? That interests me more than the engine itself actually. Would be good if he had an option to buy the GUI only at a reasonable price.
The GUI is free when you buy the engine 8-)
IWB

Post by IWB »

SzG wrote:
Modern Times wrote:I wonder what changes he has made to the GUI ? That interests me more than the engine itself actually. Would be good if he had an option to buy the GUI only at a reasonable price.
I am hoping for several improvements:

1. The ability to play under fractions of a minute time controls, e.g. 40 moves in 1 minute and 50 seconds.
2. The ability to stop organizing a tournament, do other things, then continue organizing the tournament instead of having to start again.
3. WinBoard support (not going to happen, I'm sure).
4. Support for Gaviota and syzygy TB's.

1. We will see, however running fractions of minutes with a gui is pointless I think, there are better methods for this - just my two euro cents.
2. That is already possible! Click on the running game and just type 'st' and push enter to stop the tournament. Wait until the game is finished and the tourney will discontinue. (You can simply close the game window as wait but then you have to edit the tournament *.sto file and delete the last capital 'X' in the game line) the first method is the much cleaner one! Later you simply start the tourney again and it will continue at that point. I am doing this all the time. Typin st again it's start tournament and the tourney continues ...
3. I think that is possible already but it is with a very old protocol version and no longer supported, I would not use it ... However you can always use an adapter as in win oars the GUI the other way around
4. Isn't that part of the engine as there is nothing specified int the UCI protocol? Every engine author can use its own format for a path to the syzygys in the engine options ... !?

Ingo

Ps sorry for some misspellings, I am writing on a device with auto correction
IWB

Post by IWB »

SzG wrote:
IWB wrote:
SzG wrote:

1. The ability to play under fractions of a minute time controls, e.g. 40 moves in 1 minute and 50 seconds.
2. The ability to stop organizing a tournament, do other things, then continue organizing the tournament instead of having to start again.
3. WinBoard support (not going to happen, I'm sure).
4. Support for Gaviota and syzygy TB's.

1. We will see, however running fractions of minutes with a gui is pointless I think, there are better methods for this - just my two euro cents.
2. That is already possible! Click on the running game and just type 'st' and push enter to stop the tournament. Wait until the game is finished and the tourney will discontinue. (You can simply close the game window as wait but then you have to edit the tournament *.sto file and delete the last capital 'X' in the game line) the first method is the much cleaner one! Later you simply start the tourney again and it will continue at that point. I am doing this all the time. Typin st again it's start tournament and the tourney continues ...
3. I think that is possible already but it is with a very old protocol version and no longer supported, I would not use it ... However you can always use an adapter as in win oars the GUI the other way around
4. 👍 We will see ...

Ingo
Hi Ingo,

1. That feature would come in handy for playing calibrated CCRL games. E.g. I had a machine for which the 40/4 time control translated to 40/2:35 (owing to engine speed). It would have saved a lot of time if I had been able to set the time control to 2:35 but I had to round it up to 3 minutes. As far as I know the only GUI capable of fractions is WinBoard.

2. Yes I know, I also do it all the time. However, I was referring to creating a new tournament. Example: Before I finish I find that I forgot to install an engine. Now I have to exit the tournament page to install it and all my tournament details are lost.
1. I am not a fan of adapted time controls because they fail. What is correct for crafty is different for Stockfish or Komodo or ... Doing a bench over several engines would be at least an average ... But ok, I see your point.
I can't check that right now (maybe tomorrow) but in the sto file the times are decoded in seconds - I think. One could edit that manually ... I will check!

2. So you want to edit an existing tourney. The scenario you described I would finish the tourney and then just run the missing engine. That is what I am doing with my RRRL. Always the same tourney, just add a new one as a gauntlet not a round robin. Btw I have a little tool STM on my web site which might help a little bit. It is for from perfect but might help. Be careful, try around with a finished tourney first. You can delete important data!

Ingo
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

SzG wrote:

Yes, this is the reason I hardly ever use Shredder GUI. ChessGUI allows it.

Also the lack of flexibility over adjudication options. ChessGUI allows you to set many options as to when to adjudicate.