LMR problems

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henk

Re: LMR problems

Post by Henk »

Yes tune a few parameters maybe only one or two and play a great many games (not). If you and your computer are still alive you can observe the result. For it may take some time.

By the way my engine is not able to play a game on my computer within 10 microseconds.
Robert Pope

Post by Robert Pope »

Henk wrote:Yes tune a few parameters maybe only one or two and play a great many games (not). If you and your computer are still alive you can observe the result. For it may take some time.

By the way my engine is not able to play a game on my computer within 10 microseconds.
Certainly it can play one in 20 seconds, though? 3 games/minute, 180 games/hr, 1440 games in 8 hours overnight.
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

Robert Pope wrote:
Henk wrote:Yes tune a few parameters maybe only one or two and play a great many games (not). If you and your computer are still alive you can observe the result. For it may take some time.

Certainly it can play one in 20 seconds, though? 3 games/minute, 180 games/hr, 1440 games in 8 hours overnight.
Indeed
All is playing lots of games
Personnaly now I prefer 1' + 0.25'' , 10 engines , 60 games each = 600 games played in around 24 hours
Of course with the same opennings each tests
But now we are a lot hs may be...
Henk

Post by Henk »

- Many parameters having many values.
- Formula or source code changes.
- Mistakes.

So this means tuning may easily takes years. Nothing for me for I'm mainly interested in programming.

Actually I should not care about if chess program plays bad. Only thing that should matter is quality of the source code.
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Post by Cardoso »

Henk wrote:If you want to make your engine really slow then you should spend much CPU time on move ordering. I remember evaluating moves at MAXDEPTH on MAXDEPTH - N to get a good value for move ordering (ouch). Best value is N = MAXDEPTH and even that made it slower. So move ordering should be cheap.
I already have a good fail high on first move percentage, if the score and pv doesn't change much I can get 95%-96% on many positions, if the position is a sharp one, with a good score, it can go to 97% or 98%.
Previously I got 89%-92% so now is much better, but this doesn't come cheap, I really invested time and energy on a good move ordering scheme.
I think my problems are in the evaluation function, that is the worst part of my engine, and a source of instability.

regards,
Alvaro
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Post by Cardoso »

Thx Alvaro, for your help.
How is your spanush checkers engine playing now?
Maybe we can play some games throught google chat.

best regards,
Alvaro