no more ChessGUI

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Matthias Gemuh

Re: no more ChessGUI

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:...
If I can have it ...
Please send me your latest Chess GUI version if you like. I will try it again without to thinking on Arena.

Hi Frank,

I deleted everything. Only my website still has stuff.

Best,
Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

At the very beginning I thank you for the program Chess GUI. I wonder if you end up with a program Chess GUI, I think not. Please rethink your decision. I wonder why did you make this decision, and if you have all removed.

Krzysztof.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:At the very beginning I thank you for the program Chess GUI. I wonder if you end up with a program Chess GUI, I think not. Please rethink your decision. I wonder why did you make this decision, and if you have all removed.

Krzysztof.
Matthias has been treated poorly by a few members of the computer chess community.
I guess that after you've spent many hundreds of hours on a project and selflessly sharing it, such people and their lack of gratitude are the last thing that you need.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

Graham Banks wrote:Matthias has been treated poorly by a few members of the computer chess community.
I guess that after you've spent many hundreds of hours on a project and selflessly sharing it, such people and their lack of gratitude are the last thing that you need.
And you can write more details about what's going on here. Because I'm not in the topic.
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

I don´t support radical methods.

Your work is awesome ! Think again. Give your code to public domain.

-------------------------------

Maybe D. Trump likes radical methods - he´s probably taking into account nuke-bombing all territories of the Islamic State. Do you agree with radical methods ?
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
ilari

Post by ilari »

Sad to see such a big project die. A ridiculous amount of work must have gone into it. I would also encourage you to keep the sources, just in case the chess bug bites you again. Sometimes you just need to take a break.

I found BigLion particularly useful when I was implementing chess 10x8 support into CuteChess. Even if you never plan on updating it, it's going to remain useful and I'm going to make sure I don't lose my copy.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Ponti wrote:... Think again. Give your code to public domain.
Source code is only good for the public domain if it is not "unintentionally obfuscated C/C++". :oops:
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

WinBoard is a good counter example to that thesis. First time I saw the code it looked pretty unintelligible to me. That didn't stop me messing with it, though, so now it is no doubt 10 times more unintelligible. :lol:
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

ilari wrote:Sad to see such a big project die. A ridiculous amount of work must have gone into it. I would also encourage you to keep the sources, just in case the chess bug bites you again. Sometimes you just need to take a break....
When I started coding ChessGUI, I had no idea what it would become. Almost all features came in only as afterthoughts, and there had no room been made for then in the design phase. Implementation was thus too awkward, almost forcing me to terminate the project and delete the source code.

Normally one would restart at zero and create something better.
But if one, by age, is in the latter part of a century, ... :(

Matthias.
Teemu Pudas

Post by Teemu Pudas »

hgm wrote:WinBoard is a good counter example to that thesis. First time I saw the code it looked pretty unintelligible to me. That didn't stop me messing with it, though, so now it is no doubt 10 times more unintelligible. :lol:
This is your code, right? :P
What is the worst real-world macros/pre-processor abuse you've ever come across? wrote:#define EP_STATUS CASTLING][(BOARD_FILES-2)
#define HOLDINGS_SET CASTLING][(BOARD_FILES-1)