another Apple idiocy

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: another Apple idiocy

Post by bob »

mvk wrote:The one who convinces someone to take a taste of Apple must be the devil himself.

Oh wait.
I have three Apple boxes. One is ALREADY running Linux as a test. The other two won't be far behind once I test out the Office stuff for compatibility...

I'm personally tired of the nonsense. OS X looks incredibly "cheap" today compared to mountain lion and such. Trying to make my macs compatible with IOS devices is not exactly a priority to me. If I wanted an IOS device I would have bought one.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

bob wrote: As I said, quickly change a route. Edit a config file. I do this stuff regularly. I don't want an idiot-proof system, I want one that works. When was the last time you saw a unix box get compromised? If you have seen one, which user screwed up and let their password leak out? :)
Fair enough, but we both know market share does play a big role in that. :) Also, most of the evil jerks are also windows users...You may feel differently, but personally I just don't feel rootless is that big an obstacle for what I do. There may come a time when Apple will introduce something truly draconian, and I'll be right next to you with my fist in the air. But not this time.
bob

Post by bob »

JoshPettus wrote:
bob wrote: As I said, quickly change a route. Edit a config file. I do this stuff regularly. I don't want an idiot-proof system, I want one that works. When was the last time you saw a unix box get compromised? If you have seen one, which user screwed up and let their password leak out? :)
Fair enough, but we both know market share does play a big role in that. :) You may feel differently, but personally I just don't feel rootless is that big an obstacle for what I do. There may come a time when Apple will introduce something truly draconian, and I'll be right next to you with my fist in the air. But not this time.
They have lost me already. Their software QC is nonexistent. Just watch all the spinning beach balls in Safari up through 10.10... Do NOT install office 2016 unless you have a huge disk. The thing produced log files of over 400 gigs on one of our secretary machines. Of course the strcpy() still remains as a major nonsensical move. And each new release adds yet another 10 things to the "top one million reasons apple sucks."

Linux works. I want to turn hyper-threading off. Not in OS X. I want to disable turbo-boost. Not without a third-party add-on that doesn't work on all platforms (IE my latest macbook). Etc...
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Then sounds like linux is a good fit for you. I bought my first mac as I started out as a music composition major and some of the best software for editing sound is on OSX. What use is strcpy() to a music major? Looks like Office 2016 is a bust on osx but then Office for mac has been terrible for ages. I've been using libreoffice for my needs, but that's probably not a good business solution.
mvk

Post by mvk »

JoshPettus wrote:Then sounds like linux is a good fit for you.
Or TempleOS. That runs everything in ring 0, and with direct memory mapping. It is for recreational programming for those who loathe the apple (the Garden of Eden one).
[Account deleted]
bob

Post by bob »

JoshPettus wrote:Then sounds like linux is a good fit for you. I bought my first mac as I started out as a music composition major and some of the best software for editing sound is on OSX. What use is strcpy() to a music major? Looks like Office 2016 is a bust on osx but then Office for mac has been terrible for ages. I've been using libreoffice for my needs, but that's probably not a good business solution.
BTW your xboard for OS X appears not to be working. I was playing around it for the past couple of weeks, but when I installed El Capitan it now does nothing I click on the knight icon, and nothing...

Any suggestions? Or is this another El Capitan issue?
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Thanks!
Strange, it just worked for me, but then I'm using a build I compiled a few months ago. I'll be sure to go back to the old build and see if there is something there. If you open up the package go to MacOS folder and double click xboard what error pops up in the terminal?

[Edit] Hmm 4.8.0d build worked for me.
bob

Post by bob »

JoshPettus wrote:Thanks!
Strange, it just worked for me, but then I'm using a build I compiled a few months ago. I'll be sure to go back to the old build and see if there is something there. If you open up the package go to MacOS folder and double click xboard what error pops up in the terminal?

[Edit] Hmm 4.8.0d build worked for me.
I re-downloaded it and it seems to be working for me. Is there a way to install this so that it doesn't keep giving me this "this is from a unknown source... are you sure?" nonsense???
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

I'm afraid the solution for xboard is for me to shell out 100 bucks, become a paying apple developer and code sign the program... How much does it bother you? :lol:
mvk

Post by mvk »

JoshPettus wrote:I'm afraid the solution for xboard is for me to shell out 100 bucks, become a paying apple developer and code sign the program... How much does it bother you? :lol:
It only asks that the first time when I try to open it. And then I confirm with clicking on "Open". After that it doesn't ask anymore.

There are two version going around. One is from mediafire, which you advertised on the winboard forum. The other is on macupdate.com. That has the same name, but different contents... I sticked with the first.

It would be nice if the DMG could be made available from the gnu site, or from winboard.nl. This is a really nice port, thanks a lot.
[Account deleted]