Symbolic vs FairyMax: match results

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sje

Post by sje »

Another 100 game match using a five minute sudden death time control; the score: 72-17-11 (+215 elo)

The games: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/316 ... 0-1.pgn.gz
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Symbolic vs FairyMax: match results

Post by hgm »

So this also starts to approach the regime where the opponent is too weak to usefully compare performance of the engines-under-test. The match of 100 5-min games between King Slayer/Simple and Fairy-Max I ran tonight ended at 86% (78+, 16=, 6-), which is similar or slightly better than Symbolic's result against Fairy-Max.

So now that Symbolic decisively beats an engine without move ordering or knowledge, you could try it against King Slayer to see how it does against an engine with reasonable move ordering (MVV/LVA and killers), but still without knowledge (other than piece values through PST).
sje

Post by sje »

hgm wrote:The match of 100 5-min games between King Slayer/Simple and Fairy-Max I ran tonight ended at 86% (78+, 16=, 6-), which is similar or slightly better than Symbolic's result against Fairy-Max.
From http://www.3dkingdoms.com/chess/elo.htm

78 win / 6 lose / 16 draw = +315 elo
zd3nik

Post by zd3nik »

hgm wrote:So this also starts to approach the regime where the opponent is too weak to usefully compare performance of the engines-under-test. The match of 100 5-min games between King Slayer/Simple and Fairy-Max I ran tonight ended at 86% (78+, 16=, 6-), which is similar or slightly better than Symbolic's result against Fairy-Max.

So now that Symbolic decisively beats an engine without move ordering or knowledge, you could try it against King Slayer to see how it does against an engine with reasonable move ordering (MVV/LVA and killers), but still without knowledge (other than piece values through PST).
I've been performing similar tournaments while testing my latest engine: Clunk

Where can I get a copy of King Slayer?
hgm

Post by hgm »

http://hgm.nubati.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi .

It is still called 'Simple' there.
zd3nik

Post by zd3nik »

hgm wrote:http://hgm.nubati.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi .

It is still called 'Simple' there.
Thanks H.G. That's some impressive coding! Very small yet doing quite a bit. And pretty fast too.

Can't wait to see how Clunk fairs against it. Will King Slayer be playing in your next blitz tourney? I'll be registering Clunk if I can secure the time and a good internet connection.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Yes, King Slayer will participate, and in fact already did so on the two previous occasions. (First time under the handle 'Simple'.)

Note that King Slayer really is an unfinished project; most of the code in there associated with the evaluation (Pawn structure, King safety, patterns, end-game knowledge, mobility) is still switched off by default, and might not work correctly when switched on. It was not tested or debugged, and is sometimes not even finished, and most certainly not tuned.

I am still wrestling with the move ordering; the current version uses strict MVV/LVA, but I had envisaged a quirky method for postponing suspect HxL captures, by only 'conditionally' searching them, but aborting such a search as soon as it is clear that the victim was protected, or a counter threat against a more valuable piece exists, and then rescheduling the move until after the good captures for an unconditional search. This still doesn't work correctly.