XBoard for Mac: Zippy problems

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: Link unreachable

Post by bob »

sje wrote:It appears that the link to MacPorts xboard is:
https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk ... d/Portfile
and it's currently unreachable.

The originating reference is at:
https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=c ... agesize=50

The dependencies are given as:
cairo glib2 gdk-pixbuf2 gettext librsvg pkgconfig xorg-libice xorg-libsm xorg-libX11 xorg-libXaw xorg-libXmu xorg-libXt xpm

Are these automatically loaded/installed with something like apt-get? Do they use the X Window support on OS/X 10.7 (this version is important to me)? How do they work under OS/X 10.10 which doesn't have native X Window support?
Just run macports as root, I generally do this:

port self update

then

port upgrade outdated

Anything you have installed will be updated to the most recent.

To install xboard:

port install xboard

and sit for a minute or two. I have also installed gcc 4.8, and quite a few other things like wine, csh, you-name-it...
JoshPettus

Re: Forgot to add: Two extra XBoard instances

Post by JoshPettus »

Well if you're not going to slow down and read what I wrote, then I can't help you...

You asked quite a lot of questions, don't be surprised to get quite a lot of answers.

I admit I made a couple typos in my haste, I apologize, I was referring to the /User/yourname/Library/Preferences/XboardOSX.conf file for user conf. which the terminal has a shortcut of ~/Library/Preferences/XboardOSX.conf

icsUp just opens the ICS window when you start xboard. It's not important
Last edited by JoshPettus on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
bob

Re: XBoard tellall: kibitz or whisper?

Post by bob »

sje wrote:XBoard tellall: kibitz or whisper?

Symbolic sends to XBoard:

Code: Select all

tellall [MateIn4/7/0.337/249,049] 24. Qa6 Qb8 25. Nb5 Qc7 26. Rxc7 Kb8 27. Qxa7#
And ICC reports:

aics% (whispered to 0 observers)
Shouldn't that be kibitzed instead of whispered?

If I'd wanted whisper, then tellothers instead of tellall would have been sent to XBoard.
ICC has changed. There is some ICC command you have to use to make kibitz work... Otherwise ICC changes the kibitz to a whisper...
sje

Light dawns on Marblehead

Post by sje »

bob wrote:Quartz is an add-on you can install via macports. Then it adds in the standard xboard functionality (which ports it watches, etc) so that xboard will run unchanged. Any other x application I have tried has also worked so it is a good work-around since Apple maintains compatibility with absolutely nothing.

The primary thing you lose is that xboard will now look "normal" with its own menu on top of the board, (file, edit, edit) as opposed to using the os x approach of the menu bar on the top of the screen.
Okay, I think I'm beginning to understand.

(Marblehead is the name of a town on the northeast seacoast of Massachusetts and at the beginning of the day sees sunrise before most of the rest of the state. When a high school student in math class was seen to at last grasp a difficult concept, the phrase used was "Light dawns on Marblehead".)

There are 10 different MacPorts packages returned with a search for "quartz":
https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=n ... str=quartz
Which do I want? Maybe quartz-wm? I think that's is just a window manager.

I would very much like to have the same setup running on 10.7 and 10.10; I guess that getting it to run under 10.4 PowerPC is just too much.

Having it look just like it were running under Linux is fine with me; I can live without extraneous eye candy. My only concern is that the MacPorts version of XBoard looks to be about a year or so behind at version 4.7.3.

You're sadly correct about Apple. OS/X was a much better development platform in the Old Days before Apple Computer Inc. turned into Apple Fashion and Jewelry.
sje

Re: XBoard tellall: kibitz or whisper?

Post by sje »

bob wrote:
sje wrote:Symbolic sends to XBoard:

tellall [MateIn4/7/0.337/249,049] 24. Qa6 Qb8 25. Nb5 Qc7 26. Rxc7 Kb8 27. Qxa7#
And ICC reports:

aics% (whispered to 0 observers)
Shouldn't that be kibitzed instead of whispered?

If I'd wanted whisper, then tellothers instead of tellall would have been sent to XBoard.
ICC has changed. There is some ICC command you have to use to make kibitz work... Otherwise ICC changes the kibitz to a whisper...
It looks like this is happening -- sometimes. At other times, ICC does the kibitz as intended.

It appears that ICC has also changed use of the ccopen variable. In response to:

set ccopen 0
ICC replies:

Computer players may not play postal games.
I can't assign that value to that variable.
sje

Post by sje »

JoshPettus wrote:Well if you're not going to slow down and read what I wrote, then I can't help you...

You asked quite a lot of questions, don't be surprised to get quite a lot of answers.

I admit I made a couple typos in my haste, I apologize, I was referring to the /User/yourname/Library/Preferences/XboardOSX.conf file for user conf. which the terminal has a shortcut of ~/Library/Preferences/XboardOSX.conf

icsUp just opens the ICS window when you start xboard. It's not important
I'm going to give MacPorts a try as Bob seems to be running MacPort/xboard/Crafty without problems. I can help test a a native Mac/xboard/Symbolic combination, but if I'm the only person trying something like this then I suspect that the rate of progress will not be very fast.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

fair enough :) I wish you luck!
bob

Re: Light dawns on Marblehead

Post by bob »

sje wrote:
bob wrote:Quartz is an add-on you can install via macports. Then it adds in the standard xboard functionality (which ports it watches, etc) so that xboard will run unchanged. Any other x application I have tried has also worked so it is a good work-around since Apple maintains compatibility with absolutely nothing.

The primary thing you lose is that xboard will now look "normal" with its own menu on top of the board, (file, edit, edit) as opposed to using the os x approach of the menu bar on the top of the screen.
Okay, I think I'm beginning to understand.

(Marblehead is the name of a town on the northeast seacoast of Massachusetts and at the beginning of the day sees sunrise before most of the rest of the state. When a high school student in math class was seen to at last grasp a difficult concept, the phrase used was "Light dawns on Marblehead".)

There are 10 different MacPorts packages returned with a search for "quartz":
https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=n ... str=quartz
Which do I want? Maybe quartz-wm? I think that's is just a window manager.

I would very much like to have the same setup running on 10.7 and 10.10; I guess that getting it to run under 10.4 PowerPC is just too much.

Having it look just like it were running under Linux is fine with me; I can live without extraneous eye candy. My only concern is that the MacPorts version of XBoard looks to be about a year or so behind at version 4.7.3.

You're sadly correct about Apple. OS/X was a much better development platform in the Old Days before Apple Computer Inc. turned into Apple Fashion and Jewelry.
I installed this immediately after getting my macbook, so about 3-4 years ago. You might do a google search as I think there are now other ways to install it as well (.dmg file, etc.)

As far as the 4.6 version of xboard goes, that is what I am running and it runs with zero issues, protocol v2 and all.
sje

Post by sje »

bob wrote: Just run macports as root, I generally do this:

port self update

then

port upgrade outdated

Anything you have installed will be updated to the most recent.

To install xboard:

port install xboard

and sit for a minute or two. I have also installed gcc 4.8, and quite a few other things like wine, csh, you-name-it...
Okay, I'm giving it a try.

For those following this, instead of

port self update
use:

port selfupdate
The dependency list for xboard is very long:

bash-3.2# port install xboard 
--->  Computing dependencies for xboard
--->  Dependencies to be installed: cairo expat fontconfig freetype bzip2 libpng zlib xz gettext libiconv gperf ncurses glib2 libffi libpixman xorg-libXext xorg-libX11 xorg-kbproto xorg-libXau pkgconfig xorg-xproto xorg-libXdmcp xorg-libxcb python27 db48 libedit openssl python2_select python_select sqlite3 xorg-libpthread-stubs xorg-xcb-proto libxml2 xorg-xextproto xorg-xcb-util xrender xorg-renderproto gdk-pixbuf2 autoconf automake gobject-introspection libtool py27-mako py27-beaker py27-setuptools py27-markupsafe jasper jpeg shared-mime-info tiff librsvg gtk-doc docbook-xml docbook-xml-4.1.2 docbook-xml-4.2 xmlcatmgr docbook-xml-4.3 docbook-xml-4.4 docbook-xml-4.5 docbook-xml-5.0 docbook-xsl fop itstool gawk readline py27-libxml2 libxslt openjade opensp perl5.22 gdbm source-highlight boost icu ctags libcroco pango Xft2 harfbuzz graphite2 vala xorg-libXaw xorg-libXmu xorg-libXt xorg-libsm xorg-libice xorg-xtrans xpm
sje

Post by sje »

Gosh, it worked.

Well, except that I had to fiddle with the various options like killing the sound.