Best chess piece images

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

elpapa
Full name: Patrik Karlsson

Re: Best chess piece images

Post by elpapa »

I don't know the RGB values, but something like this:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/pain ... /deserttan

Below the picture, where it says 'goes great with' there's a medium brown color. Maybe that combination could work.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Henk wrote:But what are the best chess images you have seen. Just to get some inspiration for I have to modify them anyhow.
Do you build your chess for your use only or for other people?

There is not the best piece image set nor board colours if your chess app is for multi people. Build some sets and let users select themselves. From my experiences, users may prefer to somethings quite "ugly" or strange in my view. Furthermore, after using whatever "the best" for a while, many people may get bored and want to change to a new one.
Henk

Post by Henk »

phhnguyen wrote:
Henk wrote:But what are the best chess images you have seen. Just to get some inspiration for I have to modify them anyhow.
Do you build your chess for your use only or for other people?

There is not the best piece image set nor board colours if your chess app is for multi people. Build some sets and let users select themselves. From my experiences, users may prefer to somethings quite "ugly" or strange in my view. Furthermore, after using whatever "the best" for a while, many people may get bored and want to change to a new one.
First I want to know a guernica solution for chess board and pieces. Many users might not like it. But it can't be worse than what I have now. Also don't know what would be the width of the border of chess board or the width of the border of a square (should it be always zero). Or the sizes of the pieces compared to the width of a square. And should a chess board display coordinates. And if so which font.
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

Henk wrote:I finally took the time to download paint.net and make my images transparent. [By the way could not find an easy solution in C#.NET. Maybe if you change the palette or something and set a color to transparent]

But what are the best chess images you have seen. Just to get some inspiration for I have to modify them anyhow.
Btw. I can't find piece images for Makruk at all. I'v tried to create from scratch with inkscape, but gave up after few days. I had realized that it's a huge task, and I'm not good enough to produce acceptable result :(
Henk

Post by Henk »

gbtami wrote:
Henk wrote:I finally took the time to download paint.net and make my images transparent. [By the way could not find an easy solution in C#.NET. Maybe if you change the palette or something and set a color to transparent]

But what are the best chess images you have seen. Just to get some inspiration for I have to modify them anyhow.
Btw. I can't find piece images for Makruk at all. I'v tried to create from scratch with inkscape, but gave up after few days. I had realized that it's a huge task, and I'm not good enough to produce acceptable result :(
Most generic is to give them a number so you can use it for other games too. But then you still don't know if Roman numbers might be better.

By the way I even saw professional looking solutions on youtube with ugly images of knights or coordinates of chessboard that are too large and therefor look ugly too.
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

Henk wrote:
gbtami wrote:

Most generic is to give them a number so you can use it for other games too. But then you still don't know if Roman numbers might be better.

By the way I even saw professional looking solutions on youtube with ugly images of knights or coordinates of chessboard that are too large and therefor look ugly too.
The ideal solution would be if someone can create .svg pieces like http://www.playok.com/en/makruk/ uses. Anyone interested?
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

Henk wrote: First I want to know a guernica solution for chess board and pieces. Many users might not like it. But it can't be worse than what I have now. Also don't know what would be the width of the border of chess board or the width of the border of a square (should it be always zero). Or the sizes of the pieces compared to the width of a square. And should a chess board display coordinates. And if so which font.
IMO, there is no absolute, the best solution nor "golden" numbers / ratios, especial for designs / feelings. Almost all released products are "the best" in the view of their owners / designers. Just find and follow a style you think it is the most suitable for you.

I guess you did not do hard coding but using a lot declarations thus the exact / fixed sizes of chess board, pieces, borders etc... do not matter since you can change them easily later.

If you are still confused, you may start from copying style / theme of some popular programs such as XBoard, Fritz... They are kind of standard designs for many people. You may simply take their stuff for trying / testing before creating your own ones.

My experience for creating chess pieces: there are some downloadable chess TTF fonts. Just download, install them then display them in any text editor, change their sizes and colours until you satisfy then copy their images into an image editor to add effectivenesses, convert their background into transparence etc... (Photoshop is the best tool IMO). I have been building some apps for mobiles thus lucky my apps don't have to scale too much: I can use only a large size for chess pieces then scale down programmatically when needed.
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

phhnguyen wrote:
Henk wrote: First I want to know a guernica solution for chess board and pieces. Many users might not like it. But it can't be worse than what I have now. Also don't know what would be the width of the border of chess board or the width of the border of a square (should it be always zero). Or the sizes of the pieces compared to the width of a square. And should a chess board display coordinates. And if so which font.
IMO, there is no absolute, the best solution nor "golden" numbers / ratios, especial for designs / feelings. Almost all released products are "the best" in the view of their owners / designers. Just find and follow a style you think it is the most suitable for you.

I guess you did not do hard coding but using a lot declarations thus the exact / fixed sizes of chess board, pieces, borders etc... do not matter since you can change them easily later.

If you are still confused, you may start from copying style / theme of some popular programs such as XBoard, Fritz... They are kind of standard designs for many people. You may simply take their stuff for trying / testing before creating your own ones.

My experience for creating chess pieces: there are some downloadable chess TTF fonts. Just download, install them then display them in any text editor, change their sizes and colours until you satisfy then copy their images into an image editor to add effectivenesses, convert their background into transparence etc... (Photoshop is the best tool IMO). I have been building some apps for mobiles thus lucky my apps don't have to scale too much: I can use only a large size for chess pieces then scale down programmatically when needed.
Btw. do you know any TTF fonts for Makruk/Ouk/Sittuyin?
phhnguyen

Post by phhnguyen »

gbtami wrote:Btw. do you know any TTF fonts for Makruk/Ouk/Sittuyin?
Sorry I don't know any and I guess you are hard to find one since they are not popular chess variants. You should become the first one to release those fonts ;)

Do you have any good tools (and skills to use) such as Photoshop? You can do yourself or easier way, spend about $30-100 you can hire some good designers do that job for you (from some job websites) ;))
Henk

Post by Henk »