Best chess piece images

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henk

Best chess piece images

Post by Henk »

I finally took the time to download paint.net and make my images transparent. [By the way could not find an easy solution in C#.NET. Maybe if you change the palette or something and set a color to transparent]

But what are the best chess images you have seen. Just to get some inspiration for I have to modify them anyhow.
mvk

Re: Best chess piece images

Post by mvk »

Henk wrote:I finally took the time to download paint.net and make my images transparent. [By the way could not find an easy solution in C#.NET. Maybe if you change the palette or something and set a color to transparent]

But what are the best chess images you have seen. Just to get some inspiration for I have to modify them anyhow.
Take a look here: https://marcelk.net/bookie/img/chesspieces/
These are anti-aliased transparent PNGs of the nicest sets I could find, without gradients (I dislike those).
I didn't design them, only the rendering is by me.
[Account deleted]
Henk

Post by Henk »

Perhaps knights are most difficult to get right. Also don't know if a knight should look friendly or not.
stegemma
Full name: Stefano Gemma

Post by stegemma »

Henk wrote:Perhaps knights are most difficult to get right. Also don't know if a knight should look friendly or not.
I use GIMP, it works very well. For transparent images with curve, I suggest to set a layer in the image with the color of background (grey should be right) so that anti-aliasing gives a decent work.
Author of Drago, Raffaela, Freccia, Satana, Sabrina.
http://www.linformatica.com
Henk

Post by Henk »

My knight looks dazed, perplexed. My rook looks similar to a stratego stone and my king like a zerk. Difficult to improve it anyhow for it might easy get worse.
Henk

Post by Henk »

And what would be best color for the chess board. Don't tell me it is some kind of blue or green for I want my chess board to look a bit like wood.
elpapa
Full name: Patrik Karlsson

Post by elpapa »

Henk wrote:And what would be best color for the chess board. Don't tell me it is some kind of blue or green for I want my chess board to look a bit like wood.
It's like you're aging backwards. You need help picking colors now?
Henk

Post by Henk »

elpapa wrote:
Henk wrote:And what would be best color for the chess board. Don't tell me it is some kind of blue or green for I want my chess board to look a bit like wood.
Yes I don't know which one is best. I hope I can sleep tonight. Might also be that the color of the pieces won't match. That means you can get in an endless loop. Each change in a picture changes the rest of the picture.
elpapa
Full name: Patrik Karlsson

Post by elpapa »

Henk wrote:
elpapa wrote:
Yes I don't know which one is best. I hope I can sleep tonight. Might also be that the color of the pieces won't match. That means you can get in an endless loop. Each change in a picture changes the rest of the picture.
Ok. How about desert tan for the light squares and Windsor tan for the dark squares?
Henk

Post by Henk »

elpapa wrote:
Henk wrote:
elpapa wrote:
Ok. How about desert tan for the light squares and Windsor tan for the dark squares?
rgb values ? Wait Windsor tan is:
Red 167
Green 85
Blue 2

Do you mean desert tan ?
237, 201, 175