"different" approaches for displaying games

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

flok

"different" approaches for displaying games

Post by flok »

Hi,

I'm currently toying around with visualizing chess games.
Usually it's a regular board in which you navigate through "time" by clicking next/prev.
My first alternative attempt, http://vps001.vanheusden.com/~folkert/chess-3d.webm is a bit different.
You see slices going from left to right, alternating red and green. Now as you may have guessed; red is white and green is black. The slice you see first is the first ply and goes on all upto the last move. I chose not to display what type each piece is, e.g. rook or pawn or so but show the "importance" at that ply. The importance here is the following: I evaluate every move that starts at the board position I want to display (with a depth of 4 because my chess engine is slow as molasses). I then take the average of those evaluations. I do this for all other 1...31 pieces then on the board. Then I scale each average eval to 0...1 and use that as a scaler for the size of each block shown.
The game shown here is:
[Site "Szirak 40/358"]
[Date "1985.??.??"]
[White "Sax, Gyula"]
[Black "Klinger, J."]
This may be not very useful (e.g. displaying the wrong data) but I hope it inspires someone resulting in something, well, great or so.

What do you think?
stegemma
Full name: Stefano Gemma

Re: "different" approaches for displaying games

Post by stegemma »

The idea to visualize a chess game with 3d images could be interesting because changing the parameter that you use to define size/color of the blocks maybe you can find some information that just watching at the game you can miss. With the parameter "average" that you use is hard to understand what the graph show. maybe if you try with something more known, like mobility of a piece, you can get something more easier to understand.
flok

Post by flok »

Hi,
stegemma wrote:The idea to visualize a chess game with 3d images could be interesting because changing the parameter that you use to define size/color of the blocks maybe you can find some information that just watching at the game you can miss. With the parameter "average" that you use is hard to understand what the graph show. maybe if you try with something more known, like mobility of a piece, you can get something more easier to understand.
Thanks for your reaction.

Currently I'm rending the suggestion you've done. Takes a while.
flok

Post by flok »

Ok the result is: http://vps001.vanheusden.com/~folkert/c ... ility.webm

The blue sphere shows where the game started.
stegemma
Full name: Stefano Gemma

Post by stegemma »

Now we can see that mobility will increase in a few moves from start then it decrease, for some pieces. Just this is a result that your graph show almost clearly and it is not so expected, just watching a game.

It would be nice if you convert this in to a software where anybody can set a position and look at some different parameter. The animation is nice but useless, just to analyze and compare data. If you can set multiple positions it would be great.

of course that's only my idea, if nobody else is interested is just to you decide how if and how to go further.