UCI engins for Suicide, Wild, Crazyhouse...

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: UCI engins for Suicide, Wild, Crazyhouse...

Post by hgm »

Seems you have a defective version of Nebiyu. What is the version number?

(Strange thing is that I do have two Nebiyus here that both call themselves 1.45, and one says indeed it plays 8x8_0_suicide, (which is wrong), while the other doesn't, and just says "suicide".)
TasicV

Post by TasicV »

hgm wrote:Seems you have a defective version of Nebiyu. What is the version number?

(Strange thing is that I do have two Nebiyus here that both call themselves 1.45, and one says indeed it plays 8x8_0_suicide, (which is wrong), while the other doesn't, and just says "suicide".)
I have 1.45 version
hgm

Post by hgm »

You have a defective 1.45. The version currently on Daniel's website is also 1.45, but that is working correctly (no 8x8+0 stuff). Just download it again.
TasicV

Post by TasicV »

hgm wrote:You have a defective 1.45. The version currently on Daniel's website is also 1.45, but that is working correctly (no 8x8+0 stuff). Just download it again.
Pls, tell me what u write in command line of winboard. Not working to me.
I have in command line:
"Nebiyu" -fcp "NebiyuChess.exe" -fd "..\Nebiyu" -fn "Nebiyu" /variant=suicide
What is wrong?
hgm

Post by hgm »

TasicV wrote:Also I have problem when I use book always is empty, and I can't edit!
If you want to edit a book, it must exist. Edit Book will not create a new book. ("Save Games as Book" will do that, however.) If you want to create a book by hand starting from scratch, you should start with an empty book. You can download one from http://hgm.nubati.net/empty_book.bin .

Be sure to install the book you want to edit as Polyglot Book in the Common Engine Options dialog. To add moves to a book, just go to the position you want to add moves for, and type in the Edit Book window a number (the 'weight'), and a move on the same line (do not forget to end with a linefeed), like

1 e2e4

and press 'Save' in the Edit Book window. You can also add moves by pressing "Play move" and then playing the move you want to add on the board. (It will get weight 1 in that case.)
hgm

Post by hgm »

TasicV wrote:
hgm wrote:You have a defective 1.45. The version currently on Daniel's website is also 1.45, but that is working correctly (no 8x8+0 stuff). Just download it again.
I have in command line:
What is wrong?
Your line looks OK. It depends on where exactly Nebiyu is installed on your computer, of course. I had this:

"Nebiyu" -fcp "NebiyuChess.exe" -fd "C:\WinBoard-4.7.1\Nebiyu2"

I just selected 'suicide' from the New Variant menu, but also that looks OK in your line. What exactly is "not working"? Does WinBoard say it cannot find the .exe file?
TasicV

Post by TasicV »

hgm wrote:
TasicV wrote:
I have in command line:
What is wrong?
Your line looks OK. It depends on where exactly Nebiyu is installed on your computer, of course. I had this:

"Nebiyu" -fcp "NebiyuChess.exe" -fd "C:\WinBoard-4.7.1\Nebiyu2"

I just selected 'suicide' from the New Variant menu, but also that looks OK in your line. What exactly is "not working"? Does WinBoard say it cannot find the .exe file?
Today I saw what is problem. Many engins have personal book and dont use default book. Then crash if you dont chek option "First/Second has own book". If you chek this two options and chek default book, then thay not use this default book, also have problem to crash becouse is chek default book with other two.
When I will to change hash memory or number CPU, many engins have in INI file number, who is diferent and also not suport that number, so crash proces.
Only Sjeng2 suport default book.
Now I know how to put new moves in oppening book.
hgm

Post by hgm »

TasicV wrote:Today I saw what is problem. Many engins have personal book and dont use default book. Then crash if you dont chek option "First/Second has own book". If you chek this two options and chek default book, then thay not use this default book, ...
Please note that it is not the engines that use the 'default book', but the GUI. The GUI only sends the book move to the engines, the same way as it sends any other move (e.g. in Edit Game mode). Engines should not crash from that, unless there is something very badly wrong with the engine.
..., also have problem to crash becouse is chek default book with other two.
Impossible. If the "... has own book" options are both checked, WinBoard would never touch the book. And the engines would not notice anything even if WinBoard did touch the book. So if engines crash, it is certainly not because of this. There must be something broken in the engine itself.
When I will to change hash memory or number CPU, many engins have in INI file number, who is diferent and also not suport that number, so crash proces.
If engines take their settings from an INI file, rather than obey the commands from the GUI, there is not much you can do about it without altering the engine program. Only the engine author can do that if the engine is not open source. If the number in the INI file is different from the GUI setting, this should not cause any problems. The engine will just use what the INI file says, not what the user specified in WinBoard. The engine would not even know that the user had specified something in the GUI, and should certainly not crash because of this. WinBoard has also no way to know how much memory or CPUs the engine actually uses.

If engines do not check whether their settings are valid, and can crash when the user specifies an invalid setting, it does not make a difference whether it reads the invalid setting from an INI file or gets it from the GUI. The only solution is not to specify settings that will make the engine crash. That holds for any engine.

Sjeng is open source, and I had a quick look at it. It seems to have no protection at all against the user specifying too large a hash size, and just exits with an error message in that case. It is quite easy to change Sjeng so that it would take the hash size from the GUI, however. In fact I already did that; I have a Sjeng version running on Linux now that does that. Sjeng cannot use more than 1 CPU, however, so it is pointless to have it listen to the GUI setting for number of CPUs. I don't know if there would be any other settings in Sjeng that are important enough to alter them through the GUI. I did add options for setting the fraction of memory it should use for evaluation cache and suicide search buffer.
Only Sjeng2 suport default book.
By 'default book' you mean it has its own book? What is 'Sjeng2', by the way? The source code I found was for Sjeng 11.2.
TasicV

Post by TasicV »

Thank you for answer.
Sjeng2 is Sjeng 11.2.
Can u pls load nilatac_win32 suicide engin in winboard? I dont know why he can't enter in?
When crash Nilatac engin, like winbord change setings, and loose many parametars!?
hgm

Post by hgm »

Where can I get that?