On-line engine blitz tourney March

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: On-line engine blitz tourney March

Post by mar »

michiguel wrote:tell whatever it is in the finger notes (particularly if it is not obvious from the name handle), and most importantly, kibitz. I do not think I am alone on this "wish".
Yes absolutely.

I followed the tourney as a guest and I'm quite happy that my change from nmp + verification to hybrid nmp + nmr didn't hurt. Some minor smp fixes also didn't seem to break anything (latest dev).
So thanks to HG and to Ray (and of course others who participated).
brtzsnr

Post by brtzsnr »

michiguel wrote:I hope that participants next time sign up one copy of a given engine, tell whatever it is in the finger notes (particularly if it is not obvious from the name handle), and most importantly, kibitz. I do not think I am alone on this "wish". It is important to compare the thinking process of both engines on the fly to detect problems. If we cannot see that, half of the fun is gone.
FWIW, autokibiz doesn't work on xboard with polyglot on linux. xboard closes the input stream after each autokibiz which crashes polyglot. This is why you cannot see the kibiz for zurichess. Nevertheless, I'll try to set the finger lines next time.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

???

No problem autoKibitzing here at all, running Fruit + Polyglot in XBoard from my Ubuntu VirtualBox. And it shouldn't really matter whether you use Polyglot or not; to XBoard Polyglot is just a WB engine like any other. I was running SjaakII as WB engine through XBoard yesterday, and although I goofed joining it to the tourney, it did play some games against BikJump (which also was not joined because it was disconnected when the tourney started). And there did not seem any problems with its autoKibitz.
Henk

Post by Henk »

What about encountering three times same position. If you think next move is three times same position do you first have to play the move and then write "1/2-1/2" or how do you claim a draw in winboard ?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

offer draw

(before your move) should be used to claim a draw for a repetition or 50-move condition that occurs only after your move. When the ICS supports an atomic command for moving + claiming, WinBoard will then use that command to relay the move you play after it, when it detects the draw is claimable. If it is not claimable, it will relay it as a draw offer, before sending the move.

Btw, I don't know if Skipper already prints thinking output, but it would be very nice if it did, so that WinBoard could autoKibitz it. Being able to see what it expected is usually also very helpful in debugging the engine.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Wouldn't it be fun and interesting to let engines play only at level 1 next tournament and also allow no quiescence search. So no search only evaluation. Mate in one and stalemate detection allowed.

See it the ranking still would be the same.
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

Henk wrote:Wouldn't it be fun and interesting to let engines play only at level 1 next tournament and also allow no quiescence search. So no search only evaluation. Mate in one and stalemate detection allowed.

Is it really useful ? We're not in 70's years lool
:lol:
Henk

Post by Henk »

Daniel Anulliero wrote:
Henk wrote:Wouldn't it be fun and interesting to let engines play only at level 1 next tournament and also allow no quiescence search. So no search only evaluation. Mate in one and stalemate detection allowed.

Is it really useful ? We're not in 70's years lool
:lol:
Is chess useful ? Only if we use it. An animal or a plant or a rock don't play chess.

When they are tuning their evaluation they are playing these games all the time. Perhaps they include Quiescence search.
Stan Arts

Android app to connect and observe?

Post by Stan Arts »

Is there any Android app I can use to connect to the Winboard.nl server and observe away from my PC?

I'm finding a lot of apps that let me connect to FICS, ICC and chess.com but can't seem to find one that lets me choose the server by hand. It's possible I haven't been looking very hard.

Thanks!