Could anyone make me a Windows compile...?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: Could anyone make me a Windows compile...?

Post by mar »

one last thing - you could rename SjaakII directory that holds VS2012 solution and project to something like build_vs2012.
Best would be of course to use cmake to generate these but unfortunately I can't help with that.
as for the changes in compilerdef.h: either use my changes or include
compilerdef.h as first file (this just to get rid of one warning).
Evert

Post by Evert »

mar wrote: benchmark is 16160856 nodes.
Same here, forgot to mention this.

I've renamed the "SjaakII" subdirectory to "MSVS2012". The files are text files, so I should be able to update them "by hand" to keep them current. They have some hard-coded paths in them though, so I wonder how portable they are? It's possible to generate them from CMake (according to the documentation anyway) but I think you need to be on Windows with MSVS installed (CMake is meant to configure the project for compilation on the current system, not to produce distributable build files).

Many thanks for your help! Quick question: is the binary 32 or 64 bit?
mar

Post by mar »

You're welcome. There should be no absolute paths, I fixed that already in the project (maybe I'm missing something?).
You mean the binary I ran test bechmark with?
That was the 64-bit binary, but I've done a quick fixed depth search for both versions and node counts match, so I'm pretty sure both binaries are ok.
There's still the hash problem with 32-bit binary so test benchmark still crashes, but I guess changing hash size on the fly should do.
Evert

Post by Evert »

mar wrote:You're welcome. There should be no absolute paths, I fixed that already in the project (maybe I'm missing something?).
No, you're right. I mis-read the diff. The lines that have absolute paths are all deleted.
You mean the binary I ran test bechmark with?
That was the 64-bit binary, but I've done a quick fixed depth search for both versions and node counts match, so I'm pretty sure both binaries are ok.
There's still the hash problem with 32-bit binary so test benchmark still crashes, but I guess changing hash size on the fly should do.
I actually meant the binary in the archive. It's identified as "PE32+ executable for MS Windows (console) Mono/.Net assembly". No idea "PE32+" means exactly but my first inclination is to read that as "32 bit"; either way, if you have a 32 and a 64 bit version that I can include in the archive that would be great.

I forgot about the hashtable size. I suppose I should just reduce the default size; if I do it selectively for 32 and 64 bit systems it's probably going to change the bench result between the two versions.
mar

Post by mar »

There should be two binaries. I'll repost the links:
http://www.crabaware.com/sjaak/sjaakII_intel_32bit.zip
http://www.crabaware.com/sjaak/sjaakII_intel_64bit.zip
the 64-bit one is a bit smaller.
mar

Post by mar »

Evert wrote:I forgot about the hashtable size. I suppose I should just reduce the default size; if I do it selectively for 32 and 64 bit systems it's probably going to change the bench result between the two versions.
I guess it's not a big deal. However if you decide to reduce the size I would opt for 1/4 of the default value ;)
EDIT: if you decide to change the default hash size, let me know and I'll build beta6_r181 :)
Henk

Post by Henk »

100 ELO means two or three year work in the old days. I you can add one ELO point per week you are one of the best.
Evert

Post by Evert »

I'm pretty sure it's always been possible to lose hundreds of elo points in less than five minutes of work by introducing a bug.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

OK, I just made a silent update of the mini-Shogi package, putting in the latest Sjaak-II compiles from Martin.
Evert

Post by Evert »

I'm getting ready to push out the next release (it seems like the most obvious bugs have been fixed) but a question came up (from the Debian side) that needs to be clarified.

The code for the snprintf() replacement

Code: Select all

int snprintf(char *buf, size_t size, const char *fmt, ...)
{
	int res;
	va_list ap;
	va_start(ap, fmt);
	res = vsnprintf(buf, size, fmt, ap);
	va_end(ap);
	return res;
}
did you write it yourself? Is it ok to stick a GPL license on it?

I assume yes in both cases, but I need to know for sure.