cutechess-cli 0.6.0 silent mode?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ozymandias

cutechess-cli 0.6.0 silent mode?

Post by Ozymandias »

I was wondering if there's a way to run this program, without getting any update on progress.
cdani

Re: cutechess-cli 0.6.0 silent mode?

Post by cdani »

May be redirecting the output to a file?

cutechess ... >file.txt
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Do you think that would reduce the overhead? I'm getting around 3% CPU usage from the exe, I'm guessing a part of it, is because of the constant updating of the Command Prompt window.
cdani

Post by cdani »

Ozymandias wrote:Do you think that would reduce the overhead? I'm getting around 3% CPU usage from the exe, I'm guessing a part of it, is because of the constant updating of the Command Prompt window.
I suppose it will be similar. In my tests, I use all the available cores minus one, to let the system and cutechess use all what they want.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

cdani wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:Do you think that would reduce the overhead? I'm getting around 3% CPU usage from the exe, I'm guessing a part of it, is because of the constant updating of the Command Prompt window.
I suppose it will be similar. In my tests, I use all the available cores minus one, to let the system and cute chess use all what they want.
Is that overhead normal, in your experience? You probably didn't even notice, if you free up a whole core for "secondary" tasks. I can imagine how this would be the case.
cdani

Post by cdani »

Ozymandias wrote: Is that overhead normal, in your experience? You probably didn't even notice, if you free up a whole core for "secondary" tasks. I can imagine how this would be the case.
I'm just observing now a current running test in an AMD with 8 core, and cutechess uses 1-2%, mostly 1%. Its output it’s going to the screen. Of course this % depends mainly of the speed of the cpu.

I free a whole cpu to obtain more stable results. Windows in particular uses often part of the cpu for who knows what. Many testers do the same.

May be if you have only 2-4 cpu you can test using all of them. The greater number of games will be more important in this case.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

cdani wrote:I'm just observing now a current running test in an AMD with 8 core, and cutechess uses 1-2%, mostly 1%. Its output it’s going to the screen. Of course this % depends mainly of the speed of the cpu.
Considering the impact of hyper threading on overall CPU speed, your numbers are very similar. Still, I would hope that giving up a GUI, would bring CPU utilizations down to the tenths of a point.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Ozymandias wrote:I was wondering if there's a way to run this program, without getting any update on progress.
One way is to redirect it to null device, you can use, from batch file for example.
cutechess ... > NUL
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Ferdy wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:I was wondering if there's a way to run this program, without getting any update on progress.
One way is to redirect it to null device, you can use, from batch file for example.
cutechess ... > NUL
I'm going to try that, thx.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

PS: the PGN looks ok, but I got the message
"warning: engineprocess: pipe reader was terminated"
Any reason for concern?