Free Version of Visual Studio Professional 2013!

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: Free Version of Visual Studio Professional 2013!

Post by mar »

Ron Murawski wrote:Microsoft claims that compiled .NET code written in C# runs at the speed of C++.
Until GC kicks in :lol:
Henk

Post by Henk »

mar wrote:
Ron Murawski wrote:Microsoft claims that compiled .NET code written in C# runs at the speed of C++.
Garbage collection costs probably 30% of execution time. Maybe use C# and use it like old fortran programs. Which means no dynamic memory allocation. So only use structures instead of objects.
RoadWarrior

Post by RoadWarrior »

mar wrote:
C# vs C/C++ language wars are the cancer that is killing TalkChess it is too late it is too late we cannot be saved the trangession of a chi͡ld ensures C# will consume all living tissue (except for C++ which it cannot, as previously prophesied) dear lord help us how can anyone survive this scourge comparing C# and C++ has doomed humanity to an eternity of dread torture and transposition table holes comparing C# and C++ establishes a breach between this world and the dread realm of c͒ͪo͛ͫrrupt entities (like SGML entities, but more corrupt) a mere glimpse of the world of C# garbage collection will ins​tantly transport a programmer's consciousness into a world of ceaseless screaming, he comes, the pestilent slithy C#-infection wil​l devour your C++ parser, application and existence for all time like Visual Basic only worse he comes he comes do not fi​ght he com̡e̶s, ̕h̵i​s un̨ho͞ly radiańcé destro҉ying all enli̍̈́̂̈́ghtenment, C++ pointers lea͠ki̧n͘g fr̶ǫm ̡yo​͟ur eye͢s̸ ̛l̕ik͏e liq​uid pain, the song of C# will exti​nguish the voices of mor​tal man from the sp​here I can see it can you see ̲͚̖͔̙î̩́t̲͎̩̱͔́̋̀ it is beautiful t​he final snuffing of the lie​s of Man ALL IS LOŚ͖̩͇̗̪̏̈́T ALL I​S LOST the pon̷y he comes he c̶̮omes he comes the ich​or permeates all MY FACE MY FACE ᵒh god no NO NOO̼O​O NΘ stop the an​*̶͑̾̾​̅ͫ͏̙̤g͇̫͛͆̾ͫ̑͆l͖͉̗̩̳̟̍ͫͥͨe̠̅s ͎a̧͈͖r̽̾̈́͒͑e n​ot rè̑ͧ̌aͨl̘̝̙̃ͤ͂̾̆ ZA̡͊͠͝LGΌ ISͮ̂҉̯͈͕̹̘̱ TO͇̹̺ͅƝ̴ȳ̳ TH̘Ë͖́̉ ͠P̯͍̭O̚​N̐Y̡ H̸̡̪̯ͨ͊̽̅̾̎Ȩ̬̩̾͛ͪ̈́̀́͘ ̶̧̨̱̹̭̯ͧ̾ͬC̷̙̲̝͖ͭ̏ͥͮ͟Oͮ͏̮̪̝͍M̲̖͊̒ͪͩͬ̚̚͜Ȇ̴̟̟͙̞ͩ͌͝S̨̥̫͎̭ͯ̿̔̀ͅ
There are two types of people in the world: Avoid them both.
RoadWarrior

Post by RoadWarrior »

You can find the original here: http://tinyurl.com/ydb4j9j [StackOverflow link]
There are two types of people in the world: Avoid them both.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

RoadWarrior wrote:C# vs C/C++ language wars are the cancer that is killing TalkChess
You made it up :)
In fact I find .NET native a fantastic idea. JIT has to warm up first (read startup time).
Actually the thing with C++ vs C# is long compile/link times (similar with heavy C++ vs lightweight C).
C# is lightning fast here which is useful for debugging,
but it really depends on _how_ you write your C++ in the first place.
I'm not a fan of GC - perhaps that's the whole "problem"?
I'm not a fan of refcounting either => I'm not a fan of shared pointers,
just try to make a sigly-linked list via shared ptrs and try to release head. Kaboom - stack overflow. Surprise :)
They can be useful though if you know what you're doing and aren't abusing them.
Weak pointers? Added complexity; they have to be "locked" = converted to strong pointers => performance hit but again that depends on how you use them,
but of course they can break cycles.
Also smart pointers inflate your binary - btw. they are not thread-safe (when using atomics) per se (depending on use case - again you have to know what you're doing).
There's no universal "cure" to memory management as far as I know (each approach has its price).
For example conservative GCs for C++ (because there's no real reflection) can suffer from the fact that they may scan random garbage and mistake it for a valid pointer.
Also you can't move objects in memory in that case (so no defragmentation).
GC won't prevent memory leaks by itself, you have to zero pointers anyway so that you disconnect from roots.
Can you tell how much memory your app's really using? Not until after full GC (or explicit full scan).
So... where's your language war? Making jokes about a certain type of memory management? :D Even hybrids are possible.
If you understand how pointers really work and know what you're doing, again, you are perfectly safe.
Last thing: programming language is just a tool, so everything boils down to whether it serves you or vice-versa.
Programming (IMHO) has always been primarily about algorithms and design, fancy constructs are for guys who write books.
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

I have searched the menu for what seems like hours and I can not find how to change the font size so my old eyes can see the code. Is there a way to change the font size? There surely must be. Can someone check please? Thanks
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Maarten Claessens

Post by Maarten Claessens »

In the TOOLS menu choose OPTIONS.
Unter ENVIRONMENT (click the triangle in front of it) you can change FONTS AND COLORS.

Good luck!
Nothing is unstable (Lawrence Krauss)
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Thanks. My eyes are really bad as I looked at it many times and did not see it.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Karlo Bala
Full name: Karlo Balla

Post by Karlo Bala »

Michael Sherwin wrote:I have searched the menu for what seems like hours and I can not find how to change the font size so my old eyes can see the code. Is there a way to change the font size? There surely must be. Can someone check please? Thanks
CTRL + wheel ?!
Best Regards,
Karlo Balla Jr.