crafty display settings advice

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

frankp

crafty display settings advice

Post by frankp »

I like to play crafty (much reduced skill) at blindfold chess in console mode (i.e. with no board displayed), but cannot find the correct combination of 'display' option settings so that it echoes my move and prints only its move after it has completed its computation.

'display nothing' in .craftyrc does this in version 23.5 for example, but in later versions this results in crafty printing nothing, not even its own move. And I have yet to master telepathic chess.

I have tried various combinations of:
#display nothing
display nochanges
display noextstats
display nogeneral
display nohashstats
display nomoves
display nomovelist
display noply1
display nostats
display notime
display novariation

in 24.1 but not found the right one.

Version 23.5 is more than adequate for my needs, but any guidance would be appreciated.
bob

Re: crafty display settings advice

Post by bob »

frankp wrote:I like to play crafty (much reduced skill) at blindfold chess in console mode (i.e. with no board displayed), but cannot find the correct combination of 'display' option settings so that it echoes my move and prints only its move after it has completed its computation.

'display nothing' in .craftyrc does this in version 23.5 for example, but in later versions this results in crafty printing nothing, not even its own move. And I have yet to master telepathic chess.

I have tried various combinations of:
#display nothing
display nochanges
display noextstats
display nogeneral
display nohashstats
display nomoves
display nomovelist
display noply1
display nostats
display notime
display novariation

in 24.1 but not found the right one.

Version 23.5 is more than adequate for my needs, but any guidance would be appreciated.
Try typing "xboard". That will turn everything off. And I would certainly use a later version as the skill command has been greatly cleaned up and improved. 24.1 is the best.
frankp

Post by frankp »

Thanks Bob. Missed that one. Did the trick.
bob

Post by bob »

frankp wrote:Thanks Bob. Missed that one. Did the trick.
If you look at option.c, the "xboard" command, you can see what it turns off. You can then look at the "display" command in that same file and figure out which commands will do the same thing, so that you can selectively turn some things back on if you want...