WinBoard/XBoard 4.8.0 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tom Likens

Re: WinBoard/XBoard 4.8.0 released

Post by Tom Likens »

michiguel wrote:
hgm wrote:
michiguel wrote:I can ask for smaller sizes but the empty space is still there and cannot be resized. Seems to be like the clock size remains big and does not adjust.
Anyway, if I start with -buttons, the problem is solved. That seems to correct the size of the clocks. If I start with -xbuttons is when the clocks are big.
OK, found and fixed it.

It was an entirely unrelated problem. XBoard GTK dialogs are formatted as a table with 3 columns (label, text entry, browse button), where elements that need to be broader span multiple columns (e.g. a text-edit that doesn't need a browse button would span column 2 and 3). A bare text label, like the message widget, should have spanned all 3 columns.

The problem was that it only spanned columns 1 and 2. So GTK though there was still a column behind it, but the entire window has nothing in this column. I noticed before that GTK's auto-sizing gets completely confused when this happens, and in stead of assigning it width 0, gives it some random width. Which caused the extra space we were seeing.

When I let bare labels span all 3 columns the problem disappears. (When the button bar was on the same row, this problem was masked, because then all stuff that is on that row is packed into a hbox, which then was told to span all 3 columns. And when there is at least one element in each column, GTK doesn't mess up.)
Now looks good! Thanks,

Miguel
So is there a new version that we can download that will fix this extra space on the right edge problem (I see that too with the old version)? Something like 4.8.1 or some such?

regards,
--tom
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Tom Likens wrote:
michiguel wrote:
hgm wrote:
michiguel wrote:I can ask for smaller sizes but the empty space is still there and cannot be resized. Seems to be like the clock size remains big and does not adjust.
Anyway, if I start with -buttons, the problem is solved. That seems to correct the size of the clocks. If I start with -xbuttons is when the clocks are big.
OK, found and fixed it.

It was an entirely unrelated problem. XBoard GTK dialogs are formatted as a table with 3 columns (label, text entry, browse button), where elements that need to be broader span multiple columns (e.g. a text-edit that doesn't need a browse button would span column 2 and 3). A bare text label, like the message widget, should have spanned all 3 columns.

The problem was that it only spanned columns 1 and 2. So GTK though there was still a column behind it, but the entire window has nothing in this column. I noticed before that GTK's auto-sizing gets completely confused when this happens, and in stead of assigning it width 0, gives it some random width. Which caused the extra space we were seeing.

When I let bare labels span all 3 columns the problem disappears. (When the button bar was on the same row, this problem was masked, because then all stuff that is on that row is packed into a hbox, which then was told to span all 3 columns. And when there is at least one element in each column, GTK doesn't mess up.)
Now looks good! Thanks,

Miguel
So is there a new version that we can download that will fix this extra space on the right edge problem (I see that too with the old version)? Something like 4.8.1 or some such?

regards,
--tom
The last one I see works for me
direct link
http://hgm.nubati.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cg ... 0a1;sf=tgz

in here
http://hgm.nubati.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cg ... ;a=summary

Which is the one with the title... "Attempt to make GTK sizing work with tiling WM"

Miguel
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Now that the XBoard 4.8.0 release was a bit delayed for logistic reasons, so that all these GTK fixes could still go in there, I had the opportunity to also make some minor fixes to WinBoard (not something you would notice unless you played Berolina Chess or Sho Shogi).

So I did compile a new WinBoard binary (4.8.0b), which corresponds to what is tagged as 4.8.0 in the GNU Savannah source repository), and put this in the installer. I also put Fairy-Max 4.8V there now, which fixes the thing I had broken in 4.8U, so that it plays with its usual strength.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

The OSX Xboard app has also been updated to 4.8.0a (not to be confused with Winboard 4.8.0a/b)

Upgraded Fairymax to 4.8V and got rid of the OSX-theme since it was broken for some people.

Also updated the XBoardSg (Shogi) .app which has the Bonanza 6.0 engine made to speak xboard v2 by hgm.

http://www.open-aurec.com:8080/wbforum/ ... m.php?f=20
hgm

Post by hgm »

Great! I added a link (and the screenshot) to the OSX App on my bonanza web page. I get surprisingly many hits on this page (for a Shogi page).

I will also announce it on the shogi-l mailing list.

Your description on WB forum for installing GPS Shogi made me realize XBoard's Load Engine dialog does not have a USI/UCCI checkbox. Now UCCI does not work on Linux anyway, for lack of a Linux-compatile UCCI2WB. (Although I guess people could use wine to run the Windows version.) But for Shogi it might be worth it to add an USI checkbox.

I pushed a commit to hgm.nubati.net that does that.
Last edited by hgm on Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
frankp

Post by frankp »

Has 4.8 been released for linux?
I cannot find it in the usual place at http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/xboard/
hgm

Post by hgm »

I think Arun still has an upload problem. The release has been done (the version is tagged in the GNU Savannah source repository), but he could not upload the tar balls, so he just mailed them to the Debian XBoard maintainer, and posted it in a temporary place:

https://drive.google.com/a/lbl.gov/file ... sp=sharing
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

hgm wrote:I think Arun still has an upload problem. The release has been done (the version is tagged in the GNU Savannah source repository), but he could not upload the tar balls, so he just mailed them to the Debian XBoard maintainer, and posted it in a temporary place:

https://drive.google.com/a/lbl.gov/file ... sp=sharing
Or from savannah git http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/xboard ... 8.0.tar.gz
hgm

Post by hgm »

Beware that the tar balls from git need an extra step to build, however, compared to the regular distribution tar balls. You have to issue the command

./autogen.sh

before you can start with the usual

./configure --with-gtk --enable-zippy
make
sudo make install
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

hgm wrote: Your description on WB forum for installing GPS Shogi made me realize XBoard's Load Engine dialog does not have a USI/UCCI checkbox. Now UCCI does not work on Linux anyway, for lack of a Linux-compatile UCCI2WB. (Although I guess people could use wine to run the Windows version.) But for Shogi it might be worth it to add an USI checkbox.

I pushed a commit to hgm.nubati.net that does that.
Great, I'll make that one the shogi version in a little bit. Thing about UCCI2WB, I managed to compile Eleeye in the wizzard sources, and UCCI2SWB compiles, and at one point I even got run for a single instance of the terminal, I think – at least it displayed elephanteye's name – but would just quit on running after that and never ran in xboard... It's just impossible for me to tell what's going on, and I never managed the feat since..