WinBoard/XBoard 4.8.0 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ferdy

Re: WinBoard/XBoard 4.8.0 released

Post by Ferdy »

hgm wrote:OK, found it and fixed it.
[...]
Anyway, I fixed it now, and put the resulting "WinBoard 4.8.0a" binary in the installer, at the same download link.
Thank you, this one works.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

hgm wrote:
michiguel wrote:I built the gtk version and I get

Unrecognized argument -pixmapDirectory in settings file
Unrecognized argument -bitmapDirectory in settings file
No default pieces installed!
Select your own using '-pieceImageDirectory'.

Miguel
Sounds like you did not install it.

The other messages are normal, if you upgrade from something older than 4.6, as the -pixmapDirectory option is no longer supported, and it would still be in your settings file. (In fact pixmaps are no longer supported since we switched to the Cairo plot library.) This is not fatal, though, just a warning, and after you saved settings once it should disappear.

Having no pieces at all to display is fatal, though.
To avoid messing up my previous installation, I thought I could test it before "make install". Other xboard versions could be tested in such way.

Anyway, I did "make install", the errors disappear, but the behavior did not change. I get this

and after I expand it with the mouse I get this:

The first rank is cropped (I did not crop it, that is how it looks like)

Miguel
nuno

Post by nuno »

Hello Mr. H.G.Muller. First i want to thank you for your efforts to improve winboard/xboard free of charge.
Currently i am using xboard 4.7.3 and i am experiencing a problem with auto-save option. when i finish a game it does save automaticaly the game. It only saves the game if i exit xboard without saving the game. If i click 'new game' the ended game was not save. The automatic save game option dos not work properly.
Can you please solve this issue?

Regards,
Nuno
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

michiguel wrote:
hgm wrote:
michiguel wrote:I built the gtk version and I get

Unrecognized argument -pixmapDirectory in settings file
Unrecognized argument -bitmapDirectory in settings file
No default pieces installed!
Select your own using '-pieceImageDirectory'.

Miguel
Sounds like you did not install it.

The other messages are normal, if you upgrade from something older than 4.6, as the -pixmapDirectory option is no longer supported, and it would still be in your settings file. (In fact pixmaps are no longer supported since we switched to the Cairo plot library.) This is not fatal, though, just a warning, and after you saved settings once it should disappear.

Having no pieces at all to display is fatal, though.
To avoid messing up my previous installation, I thought I could test it before "make install". Other xboard versions could be tested in such way.

Anyway, I did "make install", the errors disappear, but the behavior did not change. I get this

and after I expand it with the mouse I get this:

Miguel
Miguel,

You can install it in a custom directory if you want to leave your previous install alone. I configured it like this:

./configure --prefix=/proj/chess/xboard/4.8.0 --with-gtk --enable-zippy

And it seemed to work correctly without stomping on the old installation. Not sure about the clipping problem though, I'm not seeing that.

regards,
--tom
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Is the right file to download for Linux
xboard-v4.8.x.tar.gz?

Who is Arun Persaud?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

michiguel wrote:Other xboard versions could be tested in such way.
Not for the past two years; XBoard 4.6.2 (April 2012) was the last one that still used pixmaps.
That is very bad. It doesn't do that for me. What Linux version / window manager exactly are you using?

The way it is supposed to work is that it first opens the window with zero board size, to measure the height of the clocks/message and menu bar from the total window size, and then automatically enlarges the window by adding the board height.

It seems (1) that the window manager does not honor the request to enlarge the window size, and (2) that during the taking of the initial size with zero board height too small a size is obtained (likely because at that point it returns the size without title bar), so that XBoard later requests just that amount less vertical space as needed to make the board fit.

Do other people have this problem? I hope we were not too hasty in declaring the GTK version stable. Does this problem also occur in the Xaw build? I had hoped that we could from now on include the GTK build of XBoard in Debian, rather than the Xaw build.
Evert

Post by Evert »

Minor issue with building the source from the tarball.

I'm on a Mac, but want to use the X11 version rather than the app. Apparently I don't have Gtk installed (I thought I did, but maybe I didn't install it again after an update). That's ok, I can work with the Athena widgets, ugly as they are.

Long story short, if I configure with "./configure --disable-osxapp --with-x --without-gtk", I still get

Code: Select all

$ make
make  all-recursive
Making all in po
  CCLD     xboard
ld: library not found for -lgtkmacintegration
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [xboard] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
$
Deleting -lgtkmacintegration from the Makefile manually everything works as expected.
Evert

Post by Evert »

hgm wrote:The way it is supposed to work is that it first opens the window with zero board size, to measure the height of the clocks/message and menu bar from the total window size, and then automatically enlarges the window by adding the board height.

It seems (1) that the window manager does not honor the request to enlarge the window size, and (2) that during the taking of the initial size with zero board height too small a size is obtained (likely because at that point it returns the size without title bar), so that XBoard later requests just that amount less vertical space as needed to make the board fit.
I haven't had the experience with XBoard, but I do remember that a similar problem came up on another project (a graphics library). As I recall, it was a lot of hassle to figure out how to do this across different window managers (with different options working for KDE, Gnome, IceWM, Unity and whatever other options there are). Unfortunately I don't remember the details, but I'll try to dig them out.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

hgm wrote:
michiguel wrote:Other xboard versions could be tested in such way.
Not for the past two years; XBoard 4.6.2 (April 2012) was the last one that still used pixmaps.
That is very bad. It doesn't do that for me. What Linux version / window manager exactly are you using?

The way it is supposed to work is that it first opens the window with zero board size, to measure the height of the clocks/message and menu bar from the total window size, and then automatically enlarges the window by adding the board height.

Do other people have this problem? I hope we were not too hasty in declaring the GTK version stable. Does this problem also occur in the Xaw build? I had hoped that we could from now on include the GTK build of XBoard in Debian, rather than the Xaw build.
The traditional build is fine. The GTK is the one with this problem.

I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Miguel
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Dirt wrote:Who is Arun Persaud?
The administrator of the GNU XBoard project.