Any WinBoard bugs I missed?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Any WinBoard bugs I missed?

Post by hgm »

I am preparing a new WinBoard/XBoard release (4.8.0), but I have been busy with other stuff for the past 6 months, and I am not sure if I have solved all issues that have come up since then.

If you noticed a bug these past months, could you remind me of it (even if you already reported it)?
Ferdy

Re: Any WinBoard bugs I missed?

Post by Ferdy »

Try to install SmarThink 1.7 or 1.6, this is a uci engine, winboard 4.7.3a refuses to install.
Message from error dialogue box.
"Failed to start first chess program polyglot -noini -ec "SmarThink_v160 ..."
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Ferdy wrote:Try to install SmarThink 1.7 or 1.6, this is a uci engine, winboard 4.7.3a refuses to install.
Hello Ferdinand,

That engine loads and plays here without an issue.

I am using 4.72 however.

Does it give an issue when loaded as a Winboard engine?

Later.
Henk

Post by Henk »

It would be nice if Winboard always reports illegal moves instead of waiting until time is up. Could be it already does that, but it doesn't show which move was illegal

[My engine Skipper/bug palace has problems with illegal moves. Probably because of reducing too much at shallow levels, so going directly into qSearch. So if king is in check there are illegal positions evaluated. King captures are allowed too.]
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Roger Brown wrote:
Ferdy wrote:Try to install SmarThink 1.7 or 1.6, this is a uci engine, winboard 4.7.3a refuses to install.
Hello Ferdinand,

That engine loads and plays here without an issue.

I am using 4.72 however.

Does it give an issue when loaded as a Winboard engine?

Later.
I can install the engine as wb but will not play after pressing new, it will crash, probably because of the tablebase missing message. In the debug I found,

Code: Select all

36522 <first &#58; EGTB files not found
Couple of words in the statement "not found" perhaps winboard does not like, also I did not set the right tablebase as I intend to not use tablebase on some specific test.

All right here in xboard engine protocol, engine-intf.html,

In support of the -firstHost/-secondHost features, which allow a chess engine to be run on another machine using the rsh protocol, xboard recognizes error messages that are likely to come from rsh as fatal errors. The following messages are currently recognized&#58;

unknown host
No remote directory
not found
No such file
can't alloc
Permission denied
Looks like we will request Sergei to modify his warning message.
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Ferdy wrote: I can install the engine as wb but will not play after pressing new, it will crash, probably because of the tablebase missing message. In the debug I found,

Couple of words in the statement "not found" perhaps winboard does not like, also I did not set the right tablebase as I intend to not use tablebase on some specific test.

In support of the -firstHost/-secondHost features, which allow a chess engine to be run on another machine using the rsh protocol, xboard recognizes error messages that are likely to come from rsh as fatal errors. The following messages are currently recognized&#58;

unknown host
No remote directory
not found
No such file
can't alloc
Permission denied

Hello Ferdinand,

I simply left the EGTB string empty in the ini file and set book to no.

That assumes that the engine is set up as a Winboard engine.

Later.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Roger Brown wrote:
Ferdy wrote: I can install the engine as wb but will not play after pressing new, it will crash, probably because of the tablebase missing message. In the debug I found,

unknown host
No remote directory
not found
No such file
can't alloc
Permission denied

Hello Ferdinand,

I simply left the EGTB string empty in the ini file and set book to no.

That assumes that the engine is set up as a Winboard engine.

Later.
I missed that ini file, I only have values.txt and book.smt. So this is the solution.
Could you post your typical .ini file?

I wonder how winboard will install the engine as uci. Can you install it as uci in the wb version that you use?
Henk

Post by Henk »

I think any engine developer should create his own user interface too. Doesn't matter if it is crap, or unfriendly. For how can you debug your engine in a more user friendly way. Every engine is different and uses other debug routines which may be part of the user interface.

For the real games or non debugging sessions one could use interfaces like WinBoard.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Henk wrote:I think any engine developer should create his own user interface too. Doesn't matter if it is crap, or unfriendly. For how can you debug your engine in a more user friendly way. Every engine is different and uses other debug routines which may be part of the user interface.

For the real games or non debugging sessions one could use interfaces like WinBoard.
Most often debugging an engine only requires printing to console, or printing to file, and some asserts in the code and others. Interfacing is different and requires a good understanding of the protocol. Arena and winboard even the cutechess-cli can also be used as debugging tools as it already produces a debug or log files.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Ferdy wrote:
Henk wrote:I think any engine developer should create his own user interface too. Doesn't matter if it is crap, or unfriendly. For how can you debug your engine in a more user friendly way. Every engine is different and uses other debug routines which may be part of the user interface.

Most often debugging an engine only requires printing to console, or printing to file, and some asserts in the code and others. Interfacing is different and requires a good understanding of the protocol. Arena and winboard even the cutechess-cli can also be used as debugging tools as it already produces a debug or log files.
If you are somewhere in the search and something is wrong there I sometimes want to see a chessboard which shows the position. I don't want to inspect all bits of a bit board.