Some pages discussing practical move generation?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

vittyvirus
Full name: Fahad Syed

Some pages discussing practical move generation?

Post by vittyvirus »

I googled for it, to my surprise even chessprogramming website hasn't a specific article discussing move generation without confusion. I've programmed a move generator, (BTW, I've implemented bitboards too), but that's for array like representation and is somewhat slower and buggy. But I guess I've completed the challenge, or at least a part of it -_-.
Anyway, is there some webpage with code examples that discusses move generation (except that winglet one)??
jsgroby

Re: Some pages discussing practical move generation?

Post by jsgroby »

There is a good paper located on this page regarding move generation:

http://eli.thegreenplace.net/programs-and-code/jamca/
op12no2
Full name: Colin Jenkins

Post by op12no2 »

I've written a *very* simple engine over the last few months using CPW (thanks guys) as my primary guide; what are you finding confusing?

Feel free to browse the code, it doesn't get much more basic, so should be pretty readable and may help as a starting point for you; at least conceptually.

http://op12no2.me/toys/lozza
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

op12no2 wrote:I've written a *very* simple engine over the last few months using CPW (thanks guys) as my primary guide; what are you finding confusing?

Feel free to browse the code, it doesn't get much more basic, so should be pretty readable and may help as a starting point for you; at least conceptually.

I use the same board representation in my own very primitive engine. :wink:
vittyvirus

Post by vittyvirus »

op12no2 wrote:I've written a *very* simple engine over the last few months using CPW (thanks guys) as my primary guide; what are you finding confusing?

I am using bitboards... and I can write a awful move generqtor myself but I know people out there have done better -_-
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

vittyvirus wrote: I can write a awful move generator myself
Can you write a correct (possibly slow) one? Have you?

It is easy to say "I can do". Doing is what counts.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

vittyvirus wrote:I googled for it, to my surprise even chessprogramming website hasn't a specific article discussing move generation without confusion. I've programmed a move generator, (BTW, I've implemented bitboards too), but that's for array like representation and is somewhat slower and buggy. But I guess I've completed the challenge, or at least a part of it -_-.
Anyway, is there some webpage with code examples that discusses move generation (except that winglet one)??
So now we need to write the entire move generation code for you ? And we also need to write a website to explain it to you ? Then what code are *you* going to write ?

What happenned to the "I'm so smart, I'm gonna revolutionize computer chess and make the next generation SF and Houdini killer" ?

The first thing to learn is humility. And only then you can realize your own limits and compare them to the task at hand, and make informed decisions...
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
op12no2

Post by op12no2 »

lucasart wrote: The first thing to learn is humility.
Precisely; remind me not to try and help again...
op12no2

Post by op12no2 »

zullil wrote:

I use the same board representation in my own very primitive engine. :wink:
:) I've had a lot of fun creating Lozza, especially by KISS and arriving at something that plays legal chess in a relatively short period of time; something I can now tourney against similar engines to help me creep up on ability by trying out new techniques and approaches. Lozza will never be a ball-breaker, but the fact it's web based opens up lots of scope for interesting UIs and apps... and fun!

Which is your engine Louis?
vittyvirus

Post by vittyvirus »

zullil wrote:
vittyvirus wrote: I can write a awful move generator myself
Can you write a correct (possibly slow) one? Have you?

It is easy to say "I can do". Doing is what counts.
Yes, infact I have wrote one (partially).