This is ridiculous, please stop it?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mvk

This is ridiculous, please stop it?

Post by mvk »

There is an 'edit' and 'preview' function to this forum...

[Account deleted]
phenri

Re: This is ridiculous, please stop it?

Post by phenri »

What is the size and resolution of your screen? Although I think it is made expressly to meet the absurdity of the two protagonists, I find it very excessively large.
bob

Post by bob »

phenri wrote:What is the size and resolution of your screen? Although I think it is made expressly to meet the absurdity of the two protagonists, I find it very excessively large.
A thread is a thread, and it is as long as it takes. There was no argument in that thread, just a discussion about ideas and implementations...
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

mvk wrote:There is an 'edit' and 'preview' function to this forum...
Well... some people are obviously too lazy to delete chunks of ancient conversation, spamming the whole threads with redundant text.
This is very annoying if one uses flat view as default.
Also it inflates the storage space needed to store the database (even if it's compressed), so in fact, those people do the harm twice :)
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

It would be a good thing if the forum software limited the recursion of the 'quote' tag to, say, 2 levels of quoting.
A new tag, 'deepquote', could be added that is not subject to this limitation.
But as it would never be added automatically, it can only appear in posts that people edit first.

This way lazy people could no longer abuse the system.
bob

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:It would be a good thing if the forum software limited the recursion of the 'quote' tag to, say, 2 levels of quoting.
A new tag, 'deepquote', could be added that is not subject to this limitation.
But as it would never be added automatically, it can only appear in posts that people edit first.

This way lazy people could no longer abuse the system.
Or if it worked in a threaded way, as usenet news works, there would be little reason to quote anyway.

BTW there is "lazy lazy" and just "lazy".

If someone quotes a previous thread, and then intersperses comments, it is very difficult to not quote the whole thing when you reply to the various pieces. There is no WYSWIG to help you delete, and delete one extra bracket-quote-bracket and you fracture the entire thing. I'd rather wade through extra quoted stuff than wade through a post where the quoting is not done correctly as it becomes much harder to read, and it gets worse as you respond.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

bob wrote:If someone quotes a previous thread, and then intersperses comments, it is very difficult to not quote the whole thing when you reply to the various pieces. There is no WYSWIG to help you delete, and delete one extra bracket-quote-bracket and you fracture the entire thing. I'd rather wade through extra quoted stuff than wade through a post where the quoting is not done correctly as it becomes much harder to read, and it gets worse as you respond.
Oh c'mon, it's not that hard. Ever noticed the preview button? :)
bob

Post by bob »

mar wrote:
bob wrote:If someone quotes a previous thread, and then intersperses comments, it is very difficult to not quote the whole thing when you reply to the various pieces. There is no WYSWIG to help you delete, and delete one extra bracket-quote-bracket and you fracture the entire thing. I'd rather wade through extra quoted stuff than wade through a post where the quoting is not done correctly as it becomes much harder to read, and it gets worse as you respond.
Oh c'mon, it's not that hard. Ever noticed the preview button? :)
Let someone delete a quote or end quote by accident. The preview button tells you almost nothing about where the problem is.
mvk

Post by mvk »

bob wrote:
mar wrote:Oh c'mon, it's not that hard. Ever noticed the preview button? :)
Let someone delete a quote or end quote by accident. The preview button tells you almost nothing about where the problem is.
A programmer should be able to figure out that stuff.
[Account deleted]
bob

Post by bob »

mvk wrote:
bob wrote:
mar wrote:Oh c'mon, it's not that hard. Ever noticed the preview button? :)
A programmer should be able to figure out that stuff.
I could "figure it out" if I was willing to waste that much time.

I have plenty to do during this Summer...