Rebel TNG (version 1.0) approximately 2950....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werewolf

Re: Rebel TNG (version 1.0) approximately 2950....

Post by Werewolf »

Hi Ed,

This is amazing, thank you!

I was wondering, are Rebel Century 3 and 4 available as UCI engines?

If not do you have any plans to make them available...?
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

Hi Ed!
What's that?
http://www.top-5000.nl/First-of-May.htm
yesterday showed the following text:
It's May-1 folks, the April-1 dream of pattern recognition giving an 250+ elo boast is an illusion, in reality a Stockfish version was running in the background passing information to ProDeo. Best moves of StockFish were simply rewarded by ProDeo with a bonus of 0.50.
Stockfish from now on is disabled and this version now behaves exactly as the last ProDeo 1.88.
Like with the boy in the great Bee-Gees song only sweet memories remain.
Want to know the technical details how it was done, there are no (obvious) Stockfish traces, right? Well, that's part of the after-fun, surely there must be some smart dudes who will figure it out, please don't disappoint me (at Talkchess).
I want to thank the StockFish team who gave their fiat for this April-1 jest.
Ed
The site couldn't be reached today anymore, but here a copy stored in cache works for me:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http:/ ... J9euATMROw
Which one's the April- joke, the engine or yesterday's text, if it came from you indeed.
In immortalchess- forum already at 30th of march the theory of Stockfish as a second engine arised.
:shock:
Peter.
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

peter wrote: In immortalchess- forum already at 30th of march the theory of Stockfish as a second engine arised.
That's not a theory, that's a fact!

The file 'prodeo.pat' in the 'eoc' folder is in fact an UPX-packed Stockfish engine (which is called by RebelTNG), and if you set your system date to any day in May and start RebelTNG you'll see the truth:
it opens a text-file and the above mentioned website (which has now been removed though) showing that this 'RebelTNG' is just a joke.

Franz
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

Thanks a lot, Franz!
:twisted:
Peter.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

F.Huber wrote:
peter wrote: In immortalchess- forum already at 30th of march the theory of Stockfish as a second engine arised.

The file 'prodeo.pat' in the 'eoc' folder is in fact an UPX-packed Stockfish engine (which is called by RebelTNG), and if you set your system date to any day in May and start RebelTNG you'll see the truth:
it opens a text-file and the above mentioned website (which has now been removed though) showing that this 'RebelTNG' is just a joke.

Franz
Boy, you guys are good, but I never underestimated you, well done... The link is restored. To be complete: open the file "prodeo.pat" into a hex-editor, replace the first 2 bytes with "MZ", save it as an executable and run it.
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

It doesn´t seem to work under Aquarium.
I´ve tried both winboard and UCI engines.
Is there a fix ?
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Rebel wrote:
F.Huber wrote:

Franz
Boy, you guys are good, but I never underestimated you, well done... The link is restored. To be complete: open the file "prodeo.pat" into a hex-editor, replace the first 2 bytes with "MZ", save it as an executable and run it.
Heh, maybe my initial gut feeling was correct after all... April Fools' Day came early this year :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

carldaman wrote:
Rebel wrote:
F.Huber wrote:

Franz
Heh, maybe my initial gut feeling was correct after all... April Fools' Day came early this year :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes :)

Chessbase has an April-1 habit, I wanted the advantage.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Werewolf wrote:Hi Ed,

This is amazing, thank you!

I was wondering, are Rebel Century 3 and 4 available as UCI engines?

If not do you have any plans to make them available...?
If I ever find inspiration to dive into that old stuff again Century 4 would be my choice. It was more or less the last version (like Fritz 10) that had its focus on playing GM's.
Jorge Garcia

Post by Jorge Garcia »

I can't understand why have you done this fake, it's simply disgusting...
I respected you as a programmer and you had a good reputation in this
comunity...
sad news!
--------------------------------------------------
Jorge García de Andrés
http://dynchess.blogspot.com.es
http://www.bitacoradelasalud.blogspot.com.es
http://www.mytechit.blogspot.com.es